Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Coronado/William Optict mod

Jamie

Just to let you guys know i am planning (with the help of SolarB) on doing a mod on my WO 80mm FD.

This will give me an HA solarscope with an aperture of 80mm 8)

The plan is to take the "ethalon" from my PST and screw a 2" push fit adapter to it.

This will go straight into the WO focuser.

Then all i have to do is get the correct filter for the front lens, mounted in the appropriate cell of course.

I will of course still be able to use the WO scope for night use as this is not a "set in stone " mod

I will keep you all appraised of my our progress as it happens... 8)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaz

As i am led to believe its a short focal ratio that is needed for this mod.

BUT i have both at the mo (remember i won the Bresser 90mm) 8)

It will be interesting to find out how this will turn out.

With the help of Brian/SolarB i should be well sorted...

The key to this Gaz is the "ethalon" (rear sedction) from the PST.

The front filter is there to protect the scope lens and the ethalon not your eyes its the ethalon that does the yeye protection bit...

I will duely oblige with pics as i go ... 8)

Yep, I know :D.

Are the front filters easy to get hold of then? Mine doesn't look like an 'ordinary' solar filter, its ruby red rather than mirror like...

As far as i am led to believe AE sell the correct filter for this mod.

Then again your filter might well do the job too.

I will take this under advisement. (well before i put my eye to any modded scope)

When I was talking to AE about this project *way* back, they were having issues with tubes overheating (only after several hours, and only after tracking with the sun dead centre for that three hours). If I remember correctly, they went for a titanium coating to counter this which would indeed make it superior to the CERF I think.

Arthur

Do I take it Jamie that it'd be like Brian's where you can just take the PST bits off and use it 'as nature intended' so to speak? I think it would a bit of waste to use the little feller as just a solar scope....

Tony..

After pondering on it for a couple of days i too think that it would be a waste to mod the WO.

So with that i am gonna get another scope to do the mod on... 8)

As i want to leave it as a dedicated solar set up.

You don't need an APO as a starter, the PSt is very much monochromatic, so maybe an Evostar 80 or 100?

Kaptain Klevtsov

Thats just the conclusion that i came to with a bit more thought KK. 8)

I am now on the hunt for one....

Any old scope won,t do.......if you consider the weight of the pst-etalon and back......a normal "rack & pigeon" focuser

would just slide at certain elevations......i,ve experienced this with my h-wedge which is lighter,but its true that you don,t

need an apo for the mod. Brian

Archived