Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrophotography Camera

Hi there.

Is it the dobsonian or do you have an EQ-mount? That's the dealbreaker here. You can potentially get away with a really cheap webcam for planetary/moon, but when it comes to DSO, you need a motorized EQ-mount to track the sky, since the sky is moving and you need longer exposures than a few seconds to get anything.

Hi there.

Is it the dobsonian or do you have an EQ-mount? That's the dealbreaker here. You can potentially get away with a really cheap webcam for planetary/moon, but when it comes to DSO, you need a motorized EQ-mount to track the sky, since the sky is moving and you need longer exposures than a few seconds to get anything.

I've got a EQ5 mount.

Ok, for DSO's you'd basicly want a DSLR like the Canon 1100D.

For planetary you can get a long way by using smaller sensor cameras like webcams and take stackable movies. Unfortunately there is no clear choice in the 100£ bracket that does both. Either you can get away with less for planetary, or you need to double or triple for a DSLR body that does DSO.

There might be one or two CCD options for planetay work also, that can serve as guide cameras later like the QHY5 and clones, but thos are also a bit pricier...

Not much of help am I? :(

A lot of people are playing round with the xbox cam with suprisingly good results condidering they cost less than a fiver. A cheap way to get started. Or perhaps a scond hand qhy5. They pop up on the classifieds or astrobuysell fairly regularly.

Sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk 2

For DSOs the best option would be a DSLR. Canon always come out well and they are always coming up for sale on the second hand market.

For planets, I like the DFK from Imaging Source, although even for a second hand one your budget is a little low. A DFK would also do long exposure, but would start to get noisy. You could go down the modified webcam route with a Phillips SPC900 , but they have got expensive now.

Other alternatives are a second hand QHY or a Coolair but I think it will be a tough challenge to find something that will do both.

Try looking on the 'for sale' sites, to see what is coming up and a range of prices.

One other thing, the drawback with using a webcam or CCD is that you need to drag a computer out with you while a DSLR can be used in stand alone mode ofcourse.

Well, I assume that you can get a usb adaptor for your computer tablet and use it instead of the laptop.

So basically, if I want to do astrophotography I definitely need a motor drive to follow the object as the earth rotates?

I can second the Xbox camera. I used one for the moon and solar, never tried it on the planets, but it should work okay. I paid around £5 for mine, they are easy to convert, leave the IR filter in place if you don't want to buy an external one. They have no way of doing long exposure and the choice of settings is a bit limited but you could get some good results, at least to get you started.

Well, I assume that you can get a usb adaptor for your computer tablet and use it instead of the laptop.

So basically, if I want to do astrophotography I definitely need a motor drive to follow the object as the earth rotates?

Not sure if the programs needed to capture films will need to run on windows computers, not sure if there are tablets that support this.

Yes, a tracking equatorial mount (alt-az tracking mounts give field rotation and are only for visual use in that regard for DSO) and if you're at all interested in DSO AP you should pick up steve's book, its a really good tutorial to just that. Will save you much money and furstration in the end if you decide to pursue DSO AP. http://www.firstligh...e-richards.html

Edit: Like robin says, planetary like jupiter and moon is doable with unpowered mounts because of their brightness. Any fainter objects requires a stable tracking mount.

A motor drive is essential for deep sky objects. For the planets, you can set up the scope, start the camera recording and either let the planet drift through the view or track by hand using the slow motion controls. You will get some shake this way but the stacker program will be able to ignore these frames and track the object onthe screen.

I have heard of people tracking DSOs this way, but I would have thought that it was very difficult.

I took a picture of the moon using an Xbox camera with a scope mounted on a fixed tripod, just let it drift through, took the avi and then stacked the results, worked really well, but it does limit the length of the video you can get, so limits the frames.

I can second the Xbox camera. I used one for the moon and solar, never tried it on the planets, but it should work okay. I paid around £5 for mine, they are easy to convert, leave the IR filter in place if you don't want to buy an external one. They have no way of doing long exposure and the choice of settings is a bit limited but you could get some good results, at least to get you started.

I use an Xbox cam with my Skywatcher 130m & I got this image recently although u can track it manually its tricky & a I find my motor drive alot easier.

post-26695-0-36852600-1356463171_thumb.p

Well, something for planetary and deep sky. I'm looking around £100.

Planetary and deep sky are about as far removed as they can be unfortunately. But you will get great planetary and lunar results from a webcam for around £100.

Archived