Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally Flocked SW Exp 200P

Only took some 8 weeks or so to get around to it, but took the poor weather as an omen (it was hammering it down at 18:00hrs) and finally got around to flocking my Explorer 200P. Used the FLO supplied DC-Fix material to do the whole scope, using 1 and 2/3 rolls in the process. Still got to re-assemble and collimate tomorrow, but hope to get some clear skies 1st Jan or so.

In the process I managed to locate the source of the mystery paint flakes that were dropping on my primary mirror - these came from some poorly applied thick matt paint slopped around the base of the focuser assembly during manufacture - thanks Synta ;)

Not so sure on the choice of flocking material though - I have hovered the tube out, and then dabbed it over with sticky tape four times, but still getting quite a lot of shed fibres.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbhbss5oi6t9iw0/2012-12-30%2014.16.07.jpg

Hoping that I've got the worst of it and won't end up with bald flocking and a thick layer of fibres clinging to the optics!

Lots of people seemed to have used the DC-Fix flocking, so would be interested to hear if this is an ongoing issue.

Before Flocking - Photo

After Flocking - Photo

Still need to find some matt black paint to run over the back and sides of the primary mirror and to touch over the protruding bolts, otherwise ready to get this collimated and back on the road for 1st January and some hopefully clear skies.

DanielK - thanks for the tip on protostar. I found this available from the manufacturers website at http://www.protostar.biz/hitack.htm - they do list a UK distributor Dobsonian Parts @ www.dobsonian-parts.co.uk, but the weblink is dead so I'm guessing they are no longer trading. Not cheap at 12USD for a 20"x28" sheet + shipping, so I guess you'd be looking at 50-60USD for an 8" newt. Though as its the sort of job you will probably only do once it is not too silly and certainly better than having to keep cleaning the optics if the DC-Fix stuff keeps shedding fibres. Maybe FLO or one of the other UK distributors might like to have a look, certain there would be significant margin on bulk purchase - they retail 30" x 500" roll for 195USD, though quite bulky and heavy to ship....

Archived