NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Variables

bish

Hi all,

In my time of observing I've spent most nights hunting DSO's, admiring the moon and planets, double stars etc. I haven't once made a variable star estimate. That's going to be my main focus of 2013 from the back garden. I know some people observe these tirelessly ever clear night. How many of you bother with the variables? I think I will either revert to my DSO hunting or become obsessed with variables when I get started.

Variables have been starting to come into my mind lately along with doing some double work.

Since I have had a scope now for 18 months (including a forced six month lay off) I have only really been doing dso's and planets. It has been good to get it out of my system since I returned to the hobby but I now hope to make a proper effort and broaden my knowledge base. I built a dob base for the Newt to make myself put some effort in and learn the sky again properly.

With the new addition of the Cambridge Star Atlas and the Double star atlas (xmas gifts) I feel inspired, so much more on hand info than my skyatlas 2000.0. I also intend to track down as many asteroids as I can.

So I hope we get some better weather. I have now a very good dark sky with easy access and desperately hope that this next year will be better than the last.

I used to be a variable star observer with the BAA VSS. Unfortunately the trees surrounding me grew to cut off my views :( For variables you have to follow them for as long as possible to get decent light curves and my now restricted view doesn't allow.

For a quick light curve try following V Ursa Minor.

There are many variables which are perfect targets for small short tube refractors and binoculars.

I've just concentrated on DSO's so far with maybe the odd bit of lunar observing chucked in but nothing serious.

Although I love DSO hunting and the peace and quiet of dark sites I figure that with all this crazy weather we've been having its time to take what I can get even if that means observing when the moon is up!

I think that there is so much to learn in the early days of this hobby that my little brain couldnt manage any more than DSO's :icon_redface: .

I dont know too much about variables at the moment top be honest but I'm definitely up for new challenges so I'm going to concentrate alot more on lunar sketching and doubles in 2013.

I'm actually starting to look forward to those nights when the moon is up! Bring on 2013!! :cool:

Archived