NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Air Travel with 1000mm refractor

TonyD

Cheers Naemeth.

I am buying a few things for this adventure, but the idea is that I might be able to do it again if the bug kicks in (I have already been identified as a TAL-o-holic today and this may well be the situation. In which case, the only remedy is to buy more TALs :grin: )

The holdall solution is one I have looked at but I have the very large case from a previous trip (transporting, would you believe it, a jumperoo and a training trampoline!!!)

That tubing will seem to be absolutely ideal for safe protection of OTAs. It is light but so hard it will absorb any knocks and take the weight of stuff dumped on top of it (my main fear)

Tony

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Newt is awkward for traditional transport methods. At least with TALs being refractors, you've got a much easier job transporting them!

Long thin padded bags may look like whiskey containers though, so be careful :D.

I've just remembered what that super strong tape was called, that I mentioned before.

'Filament Tape'.

Unbelievably strong. Can really only be cut with a knife. Perfect for sealing the ends. 100% stronger than Gaffa/elephant tape.

I have been out this morning getting prepared!

Here are the three tubes (two for the OTAs and one for the tripod). The two smaller ones are 125 mm diameter, and the larger one is 250 mm diameter. They are currently 1200mm long but will have to be cut down to 900mm - the absolute longest I think can make them and fit them into the case without stretching it to the extent its own sturdiness will be compromised (it really ain't that sturdy but will be packed out good'n'proper)

post-27346-0-45862700-1358247075_thumb.j

Here are the tools and tape I have purchased. Ready for anything with a full set of bits of various shapes and sizes, and a precision screwdriver set too for good luck.

post-27346-0-99406200-1358247096_thumb.j

And this is the packing I have "rescued". I feel like a hamster building a nest!

post-27346-0-37844500-1358247117_thumb.j

Weights:

Case and essential protection

black case: 2.1 kg

both smaller-diameter tube after cutting to 950mm 1.9 kg

larger-diameter tube when 950mm: 2.4 kg

(Note: I haven't cut anything out yet - just used ratios to work it out)

Total: 6.4 kg

Contents of case - the goodies

Tripod: 6 kg (that's just the tripod without the cap or mount or spiked feet, right, or can I take another 500 grams off that - just double-checking :grin: )

2 OTAs stripped right down: 2 x 1.5 kg = 3 kg

2 lens elements: 2 x 1.5 kg = 3 kg

Total: 12 kg

So that would take me to about 18.5 kg - I'm being very generous here and rounding up all the time, even though I am using a tried-and-tested accurate digital luggage scale (very much recommended if you do much travelling, by the way, especially with the lack of latitude afforded passengers by the cheap airlines and their luggage weights policies)

The bag should weigh no more than 20.9 kg, and I believe I have more than enough for the packing-out materials (polystyrene foam and bubble wrap)

Note 1: the lens elements can be removed and packed separately in a different case if necessary.

Note 2: if there is a weight issue, the larger tube can have holes cut out of it to remove some of the weight.

Question: before I cut anything do we have concensus that 900mm will be OK for the tripod and both OTAs?

More later, but your comments and encouragement welcome :grin:

Tony

Tripod - 900mm is fine. Once the feet and cup are off, there will be room to spare for packing materials.

Rechecked the weight. Still says 6kg, with the cup n feet on.

Rechecked the diameter. Used a Tal 2M tube ring(~175mm I/D) to slip over the tripod. Loads of room to spare. A 140mm I/D ring couldn't quite fit over. So the 250mm tube you have is ample.

Excellent, excellent :smiley:.

As the minutes tick by and departure approaches I'm getting a bit OCD about having everything under control. But I'm feeling pretty confident that it'll all go well and smoothly.

Tony

I'll get the first drinks in..! Remember that..

I'll hold you to that. Remember, though. With Norwegian pub prices, every hour in the UK is Happy Hour.

Or, as I prefer to say, every hour in a Norwegian pub is Sad Hour.

Tony

One night in Edinburgh this coming Sunday night.

Two nights in London (West Norwood) 31st Jan - 1st Feb. That'll be when I collect the TAL-65.

Will you pick up the other two TALs on the Sunday? That would be great if you could use them on the night.

Yeah, but I rather think I'll just be getting them all packed away and weights etc checked. Who knows? It'll be well and truly <ahem's> law if it is a beautifully clear night but I feel I just have to get the gear packed and ready for shipping, and then when I get back it will be weeks of cloud. But I'm kind of bracing myself for that so I won't be too disappointed!

Yeah the thing with the Alkor was that it was Buy It Now and could be delivered by the time I was back in London, otherwise there'd be much more messing around if the delivery were delayed. Besides, I have a reasonable chance of getting this one into the house unnoticed.

Archived