NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Air Travel with 1000mm refractor

TonyD

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eyepiece holder is not in place - the tripod is just roughly set up to get some views! But now I've brought it in there is a lot of condensation.

Suggestions?

You can wipe down the tube if it's really bad, but I usually just let it all dry up naturally. Cap up the dewshield, so no dust gets trapped onto the surface of the lens.

In regard to dating Tal fracs, the only way, I think, is to look at the back of the supplied handbook and look for the handwritten and/or stamp. Without the manual, not terribly sure how to go about it.

I think the serial # is for a specific year. I don't think we've ever truly found that out, though.

In the back of the manual with my #0337 it has a date of December 2000. I'm interested if there is any rhyme or reason to the numbering system.

Good to see you r having fun! cheered me up. The damage is by the guide scope screws. the upper one is depressed slightly and has chipped the paint. ...also appears cross threaded...the focused cove r I remove d to check the baffles...an I fell apart in two pieces..like I was already cracked...this and one of the Crawford focused wheels is bent / warped makes .e think this thing has been dropped at some point...it doe loon amazing....and he I am going for that 100r as well. it's just too good an offer...take acre

Steve.

Good to see you r having fun! cheered me up. The damage is by the guide scope screws. the upper one is depressed slightly and has chipped the paint. ...also appears cross threaded...the focused cove r I remove d to check the baffles...an I fell apart in two pieces..like I was already cracked...this and one of the Crawford focused wheels is bent / warped makes .e think this thing has been dropped at some point...it doe loon amazing....and he I am going for that 100r as well. it's just too good an offer...take acre

Steve.

Ahhh sorry to hear that Steve

***BUT***

look on the bright side.

I thought that it was the 100R that came damaged. It is better this way. The 100RS can be replaced and you'll have one as good as new.

And you will LOVE the 100R as a second scope. If it is in the condition described in the advert and works as well as mine, you'll have a mind-blowing time with it!

Clear skies tonight forecast, and a little less hectic at work, so I can really get my teeth into figuring out how to use the mount. Didn't daunt me last nigh and was really, really satisfied with the way it worked and over the Moon (oops!) about the views I experienced.

Tony

how did you get on balancing the scope for the first time?

Very straightforward.

Once I figured out how the EQ mount worked without the scope mounted (but the tube rings on) so I could track a star rising and setting due South (just took a bit of fiddling and thinking!) I tightened both setting screws (is that what they're called?) popped on the scope, released the setting screw that adjusted declination and slid the OTA back and forth till I could just nudge it with my finger to move it. Tightened that screw and then released the RA screw and slid the weight up and down the shaft till the same effect that way. Released both screws and OTA didn't move unless I nudged it with my fingers.

Never read up on this procedure. Did I do it in an "approved" way?

Tony

Sounds right to me.

Whilst it's not mentioned in the manual, we Tal owners have found the best way to use the mounts are not to fully tighten up the tension knobs, but snug them up above so you can move the scope by hand, but enough to prevent slippage. Makes the Tal mounts extremely user friendly.

Andy

excellent stuff....well the 100RS is to be collected and a replacement delivered on Friday.....an Yep I got the 100r as well...though decided to pay for delivery...

from looking at the manual it talked about a peg on th tripod or mount that is lined up to North...or something...when all my gear arrives I can tell you....though now got to work a few weekends to pay for the "r". this time I hope all Will be well. don't vet too cold matey...

... Yes it's minus 14 and twiddling the focusser knob is rather tricky with the circulation problems I have in my fingers.

But it is worth it.

Getting the hang of that 6.3mm plossl. The moons of Jupiter are quite superb!

EDIT Scope is outside and I keep coming in to warm up again... that is why I am posting and observing at the same time! Probably not too good for my night vision, but I've got to compromise at these temperatures. No real problems with dew tonight, though (yet...)

It did look like a tiny eye piece...tell you what though. the service from FLO is great...really happy how they responded. Will probably write a review about it.

so when at you going to buy a T adapter so you can take some pics o the moon ;-)

It did look like a tiny eye piece...tell you what though. the service from FLO is great...really happy how they responded. Will probably write a review about it.

so when at you going to buy a T adapter so you can take some pics o the moon ;-)

Don't worry, Naemeth is doubtlessly keeping an eye on ABS for me :grin: :grin: :grin:

The old R scopes came with a T thread adapter, specially designed with a flange like the diagonal has, for a good fit in the focuser. Actually the old Russian M42x1.0, but also with a convertor ring to T thread(M42x0.75), so you may get one in your package, Blazar.

from looking at the manual it talked about a peg on th tripod or mount that is lined up to North...or something...

I'll explore this aspect of the EQ mount and getting it working as soon as the kids go to sleep tonight (if they go to sleep, that is ........)

Andy: I was a bit lax about removing the cup at the top of the tripod with those three screws ... could you double check how that metal disc attaches - is it sandwiched between the cup and the tripod, or is it placed underneath? Also is there a correct way up for that little disc? Cheers :smiley:

The old R scopes came with a T thread adapter, specially designed with a flange like the diagonal has, for a good fit in the focuser. Actually the old Russian M42x1.0, but also with a convertor ring to T thread(M42x0.75), so you may get one in your package, Blazar.

By Jove I think I have one in my little case :grin:

Tony - I'll have a look and get back to you.

Regarding the metal pin talked about in the manual - On the older tripods and pillars, this doesn't exist. It's a more modern addition that's used with the bigger MT-3S mount. I don't think the modern MT-1 mounts use it.

Archived