Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ 6 pro or CGEM?

wouter

Hello all,

I have a Celestron C9.25 on a CG-5 GT mount.

As well predicted by some of you forumers, I am running into the limitations of my mount for imaging purposes.

So I am thinking of saving some money for a more capable mount to be able to reach longer exposures.

At the moment I'm having a dilemma as to which mount I should go for.

These are the candidates I have in mind (so far):

-A new NEQ 6 pro synscan (£960)

-A second hand Celestron CGEM on a heavy duty Berlebach Planet wooden tripod. (£980)

-A new "standard" CGEM (£1,270)

I think that most of you will recommend me to go for the much praised NEQ 6 pro.

However I want to ask if anyone here has / has tried out the Celestron CGEM and what your findings are of this mount and how would you compare it to a NEQ 6pro? (keeping in mind my OTA is a C9.25 + 60mm guidescope, QHY5 guidecam and canon DSLR + dewshield) making it about 10.5Kg total)

Especially the tracking accuracy and mechanical quality are of highest priority for me as well as the quality of the altitude / azimuth adjustment bolts.

Those of the CG-5 can get really stiff and feel kind of bendable...

Then there is the second hand mount. I've had the chance to briefly test the mount, it's roughly 2 years old.

I know the seller and I believe I can trust him when he told me that it's still in perfect state and little used. Also the Berlebach tripod seems to be a real treat for the money.

But still, it remains a 2 years old second hand mount.

Any thoughts on this?

The last option is to go for a new CGEM mount. It's slightly over my budget, but if someone could point out some advantages over the NEQ6 pro, I certainly will consider it.

Lastly there is a matter that may seem ridiculous to even think about, but the combination of a black / orange OTA on a white NEQ 6pro is just such a terribly esthetical mismatch. (it will stand in the living room) Don't they make them in black? lol :grin:

Considering these 3 options, which one would you go for if you were me?

Thanks a lot in advance for helping me decide :)

Wouter

Both mounts are fine, but the NEQ-6 is slightly cheaper and slightly easier to transport, and people in my club favors it over the CGEM. That's what made up my mind.

Just be aware that the altitude bolt on the NEQ-6 can get damaged if you're not careful with it. However it's less of an issue since you live further south and wont have to crank the alt-bot so much to get it towards polaris who is closer to the horizon for you.

OK the bits that matter on the CGEM are not that different from the NEQ6. I see no reason to believe that it is inherently more accurate nor that the quality control is any better. The Berlebach is nice but won't change much. If the used mount you know guides well enough for your focal length, and you know it does, buy it because you don't know what a new mount will be like. The focal length of a C9.25 is challenging for budget mounts like the CGEM and NEQ6. A skilled user with a good example will succeed.

If you want to be dead sure of never ever dropping a sub head north to Lucas Mesu's workshop and buy a Mesu Mount 200.

Olly

Thanks, that is some really good advice.

A Mesu Mount 200 sure is something to dream of :)

But lets say £1,200 is about the max I can spend now in this stage of my hobby.

Another question, The newest NEQ 6 pro synscan, does it have a gps integrated?

I have the celestron gps accessory for the CG-5, would that be compatible with a NEQ 6 pro in case it doesn't come with a GPS?

The NEQ6 does not have a GPS built in. You have to configure it in the set-up routine from the handset when the syste powers up but that isn't an issue if you observe from the same site since it remembers from last time. Takes seconds.

If you use a PC with EQmod for imaging then the PC controls the mount and it will likewise have the coordinates.

Not sure about all star routine but it has auto two star, one star, three star etc. Its a mickey mouse job to get it up and running.

I highly recommend the NEQ6 - it is superb.

I've got a year-old CGEM. I'd tried an EQ6 prior to buying. I remember getting the polar scope, better adjuster bolts, etc with the CGEM as standard (?) and thinking it was better thought out. No 'bolt upgrades' needed. Also, that 'all-star polar align' is superb. So is the 'any position hibernate' and Wake-up routines that preserve alignment. I'm unsure as to what comes standard with the EQ6 but the Losmandy saddle on the CGEM is rock solid and the double handle vice grip is very re-assuring. I use an STF180 F10 (with an SBIG) for long photometry runs and the CGEM will track all night to within a couple of pixels. I use an 80mm F10 refractor with an SXV camera so the total weight is well over 30lbs. I've not spoken to anyone who doesn't like the EQ6 but the weight of the Celestron brand seemed worth paying the extra.
Tony

Oh great, would be nice if someone here has tried it out and let us know how well it does.

Ive tried it, and it works. But I havent used it since getting the polarfinder utility to tell me where polaris should be through the polarscope. So far its worked every time and gives good enough results to guide off - it only takes a couple of minutes too. Therefore the only real edge the Celestron now has is the increased selection of calibration stars.

Get the NEQ6, you wont be disappointed. Its reliable, repeatable, and it makes a cool noise when slewing and tracking :)

Edit: Found the polarfinder.exe link, here ya go:

http://myastroimages.com/Polar_FinderScope_by_Jason_Dale/

Thanks a lot guys! :)

Tomorrow I'm going to try to make another test with the used CGEM and then make a final decision.

I'll let you know how it went and hopefully post some new and better AP images in the imaging section soon :)

Wouter

Archived