Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What do I need in order to use my 2" 38mm PanaVision with a 150P?

When trying to use this last night I took the 2" - 1.25" adaptor out of the focuser and slotted my 38mm eyepiece in, fitted perfectly, but it could not achieve focus. I'm thinking that I just need a short tube to bring the eyepiece an inch or so out of the focuser, is there such a thing?

I think a short extender is a fairly standard item In think, search round the FLO site for one, or as you are in N Yorks you could search Green-Witch (Leeds) and RVO. They are closer in case you wanted one immediatly and they may be within travelling distance and if they have one.

Who you get one from may depend on who answers a phone tomorrow,

When trying to use this last night I took the 2" - 1.25" adaptor out of the focuser and slotted my 38mm eyepiece in, fitted perfectly, but it could not achieve focus. I'm thinking that I just need a short tube to bring the eyepiece an inch or so out of the focuser, is there such a thing?

Is this in the 150P?

James

Is this in the 150P?

James

Thats my thoughts too - the 150P needs a 2" adapter to go in place of the 1.25" one when you want to use 2" eyepieces. That provides a bit of extension which should get the eyepiece to the focal plane of the scope.

There should not be any such problems with the Celestron 8 SE though.

A further thought on this, I believe the 38mm Panaview, in common with some other 38mm super wide eyepieces, requires a cm or so more inward focuser travel than others in the range, ie: there are not par-focal. This may be the cause of the problems in this case, possibly. The lack of the correct 2" adapter would have more of an impact however.

I don't think I have the required 2" adaptor, I shall look for one on FLO.

Leeds is not a place a care to visit if I have any choice in the matter, it is busy and a 70 mile journey there and another 70 miles back.

Actually, I tell a lie. One such tube was included in the boxes with the 150P, I didn't realise what it was for at the time, I just twigged now. Sorted. :D

Thats great :smiley:

The Skywatcher instructions are not clear on these issues though - there is often some confusion over how these adapters are to be used. If you put the 1.25" adapter into the 2" one (a common mistake) then 1.25" eyepieces won't come to focus. They have to be used separately. I believe this arrangement is unique to Skywatchers though.

Archived