Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good Value Explore Scientific Range

Damo636

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunk,

I must be a bit nuts. I mean I know what a range of eyepieces should be, mine always seem to get out of hand. I think a lot of it comes from seeing something S/H and I can't resist a bargin.

At this moment I have the following. Radians 4mm,& 5mm. Naglers 7mm 9mm 11mm 12mm 16mm & 20mm (awaiting 26mm) Delos 4.5mm 6mm and 10mm. Ethos 8mm 13mm & 17mm Plossl 55mm and to conclude the TV Panoptic 24mm 35mm and 41mm

I also have Meade UWA 5.5mm 14mm 24mm and 30mm and a Pentax 14mm XW. Now if that is not a bit bonkers I don't know what is. I do have two scopes out many times and I use some of these eyepieces in finders at the same time. The other thing is I can rarely sell them here and for me to sell in the UK cost me 25 quid from the sale unless I am flying over anyway, so I just keep them. I bought a lovely case by Geoptik for eyepieces this week only trouble is I need another two.

You can't take it with you, Alan.

PS I am now looking at either a 3.5 Delos or Nagler to finish off

You know, considering how much you use your eyepieces, I wouldn't say that was excessive. My lowly eyepiece collection sometimes seems excessive, given I go out about once a month.

I am sure if I went to the Doctors here they would have a tablet to give me that will cure the problem. The odd thing is I only ever go out with a few eyepieces in my pockets mainly. I know what I want before I go and stick to it, they all get used believe it or not.

You're not alone Alan - the generosity of the clouds means I've always had time to write a target list and I've usually annotated it with my EP selection :D (I started a whole thread in my panic about what I would take to the tropics!)

Clear here too, but the brisk northerly wind is dropping the "feels like" temperature into the mid-teens and I don't have the clothes for it :eek:

Right, that's two of you I'm not talking to!

Normally, a northerly is good for us turnip munchers on the Fen Edge. It comes straight down from The Wash and normally heralds crystal clear skies, but like so much of this year, it hasn't. :(

Russell

Wind stopped play unfortunately except for the eyeballs, though the forecast is less windy tonight, before a wind storm blows in over the weekend. Ho hum, still more stargazing than I would have got in the UK by the sound of it :D

Back on topic... has it arrived yet Russell? My credit card is depending on you :D

Russell,

I didn't mean to upset you, The Fens, nice part of England, what is the light Pol like? Believe me there are times in September and October when I would have loved a down pore or two, we still have a major water shortage. Still this is the cost of fine weather but you really have had it awful this year. I know when I was over in May, my Brother died and I was across for three weeks, I think the only day it didn't rain was the day of his funeral. May was terrible.

Going back to the eyepieces, there is no way I would have this amount in England, you just don't get to use them enough. From April to November here I can get the scopes out about 90% of the evenings, so at least I can use them. The other thing is I would sell some but the market here is so small, next time I come to England I will be selling 3 or 4 that don't see light enough.

Hope you get out soon, Happy New Year,

Alan.

After much to-ing and fro-ing, the donkey's tail got stuck in Cabo Verde. 26C and sunny everyday so far. Clear in the evenings too, but we've had wind gusts up to 35km/h, so it feels a bit like August Bank Holiday on a British beach at times :D only without the hoards of people.

I bit the bullet and bagged myself a couple of globs with my good value Explore Scientific 82 degree 11mm (if only I had the barlow to match - lame attempt at on-topic comment :D ) before dinner and will step out for a quick view of the Pleiades and Jupiter soon...they're essentially overhead at this point. The Moon is overwhelming Orion and pretty much everything else... :eek:

You've got to hate the Full Moon.

Russell,

I didn't mean to upset you,

I'm not upset, just jealous which is equally ugly!
The Fens, nice part of England,
Seriously?
what is the light Pol like?
Not bad, considering the density of villages and towns that all obey the Roman 16 mile march rule. Normally a northerly or NE wind brings crystal clear freezing air straight from Scandanavia, which holds LP down to the horizon. My village is fortunate in so far as it looks south, past Cambridge and there's only other small villages in that direction, the nearest being a couple of miles. From 20-25deg above the horizon, the Milky Way and the Cygnus Rift is easy naked eye without dark adaptation and Andromeda pops into view after a few minutes on a good night.

However, the next few years will see the new village of Northstowe being built a mile away, which may stuff it right up. That said, the street lighting will have to be to the current adoptable standard, which means a whiter light (bad) but also remotely dimmable via Telensa Telenodes (good). We shall see.

Believe me there are times in September and October when I would have loved a down pore or two, we still have a major water shortage. Still this is the cost of fine weather but you really have had it awful this year.
This year started off with warnings of hosepipe bans and news of how crops had withered in the ground due to lack of rainfall. A year is a short time in climate terms, but long in weather terms. This year feels the other way round...
I know when I was over in May, my Brother died and I was across for three weeks, I think the only day it didn't rain was the day of his funeral. May was terrible.
I'm sorry for your loss. I remember you saying you were coming over and asking if there were any dealers local to your stay. I didn't realise that was the reason for the trip.
Going back to the eyepieces, there is no way I would have this amount in England, you just don't get to use them enough. From April to November here I can get the scopes out about 90% of the evenings, so at least I can use them.
I can feel the jealousy rising again....My extended family live in Peterhead, Scotland, which is only 5deg north of here. The middle three months of the year are near perpetual daylight - The winters are nice and dark though. However, the food is rubbish, so I prefer the idea of moving somewhere in the region of 5-9deg south. A nice remote Gite in mid to southern France, or some such. Mmmmm.
The other thing is I would sell some but the market here is so small, next time I come to England I will be selling 3 or 4 that don't see light enough.
I can send stuff to America for £11 using the Post Office. Is it that expensive to send stuff from Bulgaria to the UK that the calssifieds on this forum are uneconomic?
Hope you get out soon, Happy New Year,

Alan.

And to you and yours. Cheers mate. :)

Russell

Back on topic... has it arrived yet Russell? My credit card is depending on you :D
No. To be fair, it was ordered about 2 days before Xmas, so I'm not expecting it until the new year. Oh! And it's just not off topic - It's off thread. I believe yo want the 6-7mm ES thread, or some such. :angel:

Russell

Russell,

Yes I remember now we had a conversation about Mal at Camtech, I have just bought a D7 from him. No I like that part of the Country it is more spead out as you made reference to, didn't understand it went back to the Romans.

For me to send gear to England is 23.50 a time unless it is under 500 grams. This is with a courier, I don't trust the post, at this moment I have a 140 Pounds parcel from Picstops for the camera missing, it is the first time but it is a month now so I don't hold much hope.

No I like the forum classified, things are worth what they are worth. I am a little upset with the 40mm SWA, couldn't even get 115 pounds for it on site, it cost me 269. I guess it is one of those things you either want or don't, and most don't.

We have more snow coming down at the moment so it may clear later but as some one back in the thread pointed out the Moon messes up everything.

Dunk,

Where is that? I have been all over the place and never heard of it, West Indies? Sounds nice anyway, we have more white stuff falling.

Hope things cheer up soon, it will not be any good for Brain Cox's yearly star party.

Take care,

alan.

:D pretty much my only feed into the decision was not overcrowded (LP) and low latitude :cool:

Oops, my bad, must have been all the stargazing I was doing going to my head :eek: Got another 4 hours in after dinner, a lot with my good value ES82 11mm :cool: Wish I'd brought the 8.8 with me too :(

1356770489[/url'>' post='1756085']

Russell,

Yes I remember now we had a conversation about Mal at Camtech, I have just bought a D7 from him. No I like that part of the Country it is more spead out as you made reference to, didn't understand it went back to the Romans.

For me to send gear to England is 23.50 a time unless it is under 500 grams. This is with a courier, I don't trust the post, at this moment I have a 140 Pounds parcel from Picstops for the camera missing, it is the first time but it is a month now so I don't hold much hope.

No I like the forum classified, things are worth what they are worth. I am a little upset with the 40mm SWA, couldn't even get 115 pounds for it on site, it cost me 269. I guess it is one of those things you either want or don't, and most don't.

We have more snow coming down at the moment so it may clear later but as some one back in the thread pointed out the Moon messes up everything.

Dunk,

Where is that? I have been all over the place and never heard of it, West Indies? Sounds nice anyway, we have more white stuff falling.

Hope things cheer up soon, it will not be any good for Brain Cox's yearly star party.

Take care,

alan.

In the central Atlantic off the coast of western Africa, around 15 degrees North :cool: although it does seem to be fairly windy :(

Hope you guys get some suitable weather soon :cool:

Dunk

Sounds very nice, it is plus .6 here at the moment and still having a snow, but it is not being serious about it. What sort of angle is Polaris from there, I am at 42 degrees, so I gues you are at leat 5 lower.

If the Moon get out the way Orion will be very hig up, M42 will look great.

Alan.

I've started a travel report here http://stargazerslou...ittle-latitude/

From the island we're on, about 3/4 of the LMC breaks the horizon with delta Dorado (as a marker) reaching 7 degrees, so it might be possible to see something, vaguely. You might have more luck from another of the islands (so many to choose from!) as they're scattered about a bit. I've yet to bag any deep south objects (besides Achernar with the naked eye) but hope to soon.

Btw, I'd expect it to be hot in summer, but Sagittarius would be well placed :cool:

Archived