Dear friends, give me push...

ollypenrice

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
the pixels would be too big for binning with the Tak (and possibly with the TEC) but I don't bin in the Tak any more. I've done a few back to backs and the stars just don't look the same.

:Dat last.. it was only a matter of time. *heavy breathing*

Binning a nice tool but it's pampering to the impatient.. miles better in my view to get that detai!

That's interesting :) I'm currently trying out my new set of Baader LRGB filters with the 314L+ mono on M42. I think I'll change from binning 2x2 on the RGB and try the colours unbinned. They're certainly sharper on the subs. I'm using 15s L and 5s on the RGB ATM.

:Dat last.. it was only a matter of time. *heavy breathing*

Binning a nice tool but it's pampering to the impatient.. miles better in my view to get that detai!

In fairness I've been saying this for at least three years, RobH likewise! The last time I binned anything was, ironically, in Luminance when trying to get the noise down on the Praying Ghost. I shot a binned L layer exclusively to reduce noise in the dusty regions of the unbinned L layer. Anything with any real signal I discarded - stars, bright nebulosity, etc. It was still noisy after 22 hours, but that's F7 for you.

Olly

VdB141%20GHOST%20NEBULA%2020%20HRS-L.jpg

Yes, and some noise is a good thing, I think. Lots of US imagers reduce it too much for my taste and sometimes I reduce it too much for the taste of the French imagers on forums over here. A little texture draws the eye in, so to speak, wheras the observer's engagement can be 'reflected back out of the image' by an overly glossy surface finish.

Olly

at the risk of sounding like a big teacher's pet, what scares me Olly is how good your images are currently. this system would be incredible :eek:

Oh, too kind! Actually a given bit of sky will be better in the 4000 than the 11000 because the pixels of the 4000 are smaller and I'll be even more oversampled in the big one. However, the big one covers about 2.5x as much sky so vast skyscapes will open up and this is where I think it's possible to offer images not seen before, or at least not often seen. The lost resolution can, in key parts of the picture, be boosted from data taken in the bigger refractor. I also have some collaborations planned with Tom O'Donoghue, master of the monster mosaic, so two 11 meg cameras gulping away at the photons should be pretty productive.

The order is placed.

Olly

I agree with that Shane. I had no concept of just how much there was in and around Orion until I saw Olly's widefield image of it, amazing.

Glad to hear it Olly, how long will they make you wait for it?

Stu

if you can afford it, do it. one thing you'll never get back is the 'wasted' time with less efficient systems. what's that worth??

Yes, I've come to that conclusion.

I'm hoping to cover plenty of wide field with my (little) Atik 314L+ when the mounting rings arrive and I've set that up. And, of course, when the weather permits!

I'm hoping to cover plenty of wide field with my (little) Atik 314L+ when the mounting rings arrive and I've set that up. And, of course, when the weather permits!

Ah, but the chip quality of the 314L... I started with the 16HR. What a piece of kit that was.

Olly

Archived