Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Too good to be true?

I found for sale on the internet a brand new still in box 8" on newt with the following accessories listed below fro $370 US dollars. There is no brand on the scope like it is a generic or something. Is this piece of junk?

# 8" (203mm) Lens/Mirror

# 800mm Focal Length

# Star Finder Scope

# Polar Scope

# Plossl 6.5mm Eyepiece

# Plossl 25mm Eyepiece

# 2X Barlow Lens (good quality)

# 1.5X Erecting Eyepiece

# Moon Filter

# Sun Filter

# Aluminum Tripod with Accessory Tray

# Equatorial Mount

# Assembly Guide Manual

# R/A motor

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but this scope is made by Nanjing Astonomy Equipment factory in China. Anyone ever heard this company?? I wonder if the paint on the tube is free of lead... :Dhttp://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11064621/8_Inch_Newtonian_Reflector_Telescope_With_Motor_Clock_Driver.html

If you look carefully they have another scope which, they state, has a parabolic mirror. They don't make a similar claim for this one so you can be sure that it does not have one. Non-parabolic mirrors (spherical) can work for limited aperture scopes of long (eg: F10) focal length or Schmidt-Cassegrains with sophisticated corrector plates. A plain 8 inch F4 newtonian without a parabolic mirror won't be very good I'm afraid - a dead horse is an apt term !.

John

Archived