Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheap Power Tank for Goto

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that a lot of mounts etc say that they require 'tip positive' power source? Does anyone know what this means? and are car batteries 'tip positive' ? Thanks

The connector (the bit that plugs in) has three components - an outer metal barrel (sleeve) an insulating ring and a metal inner ring (tip). You can wire it so that the tip is positive and the sleeve negative ( imho how it should be) or the tip negative and the sleeve positive.

The battery is not either it is just how you wire it up.

Hi dave could you show how you wired up the inside of your project box I have a 88ah batery that I could use to make one like yours but not sure of how

Cheers dean w

Dean, I'm home tomorrow I'll take a pic then but basically I've just wired the two sockets in parallel.

Dave

Here's the pic of wiring. In basic terms the negative black wire is connected to the terminal that connects to the outside of the 12v socket and the positive red wire connects to both centre terminals. Hope that's of some help.

Dave

file-132.jpg

The idea of a leisure battery and a box with connectors attached to it is a stroke of genius. I think this is a great way to go for this. I am pretty convinced to avoid any of the astronomy power tanks and also the jump start options (unless I was able to afford a pro unit). The basic item of the battery needs to be the quality item.

Didnt read through all the answers but

As I am sure you have been told you need amp hours more the better I have 480 amp/h worth of 12v but I also have a kendrik atro tent

Try to get a Marine battery or caravan battery because they take more charging starter batteries are for realeasing huge amounts of amps in a short amount of time

The above power set it is ok but please use a fuse just in case ! use a 10 amp fuse for a big set up or 5 amp for small

I haven't used a fuse for two reasons:

i) the cigarette lighter plugs that plug into this are fused.

ii) the connection to the battery is via crocodile clips and these are only attached when in use.

Dave

I have just ordered a set of plugs and sockets to do exactly what Dave has done above. The eBay seller (who I have no affiliation to) called towzatronics (previously posted about from other SGL users) are doing a 15% sale this weekend.

I bought a pre-wired 1.2m loom, with included fuse holder, socket and plug. I also added an additional plug and socket that I will wire in with the excess cable and some spades I have already. All of this, including the postage only came to about £20.

I hava a Ring powerpack 34ah with an inverter ( this allows you to use a ac mains lead it also has a cigareete lighter socket) it lasts for weeks without a charge and it only cost £80. It does not have a compressor but as my scope isnt inflatable I dont think that matters too much :-)

Archived