Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help! How do I get my MacBook to recognise a Lifecam?

Andymarrison

Just finished modding a Microsoft Lifecam, plug it into the MacBook (a 2008 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard) and realise I've no way of actually seeing or capturing an image from the webcam? Does anyone know what bits of software/settings I need to start capturing images?

Just finished modding a Microsoft Lifecam, plug it into the MacBook (a 2008 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard) and realise I've no way of actually seeing or capturing an image from the webcam? Does anyone know what bits of software/settings I need to start capturing images?

Hi,

I haven't tried the Lifecam, however I have a Microsoft XBOX Live camera and it worked out of the box on my MacBook Pro 2008 (it worked with Snow Leopard, and afterwards also with Lion and Mountain Lion). No drivers needed in my case and as far as I know the Lifecam should comply to some standards and be kind of "driverless" as the XBOX one.

If you haven't tried it already, try opening Photo Booth from the Applications folder, then choose the Microsoft webcam from the "Camera" menu on the menu bar (otherwise the Mac will keep using the default iSight camera). With Photo Booth you can take snapshots or record QuickTime (.mov) videos. Although Photo Booth isn't an astro tool (you can't tweak any camera setting) it works well with the moon :) There might be other capture tools around (I think also QuickTime can do that :) ) , check out the Mac App Store or Google in case you need more advanced videocapture tools :) .

Let me know how it goes :)

Cheers!

Success! Quick Time and Photo Booth both work, so at least I've got the basic ability to capture some video images - thanks TziuRiky! I'll have a look at some of the other suggestions as well to see if there's anything that works with Snow Leopard and allows me to adjust the settings - maybe macam.

Archived