NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heritage OTA on a Camera Tripod

I was wondering if I could stick my Heritage 130P on a Camera Tripod mount?

The weight shouldn't be a problem (OTA is only ~1.3kg), but I wonder whether or not the tube is too long (~650mm long).

In a similar way, could it be mounted on a lightweight Alt-Az mount? It probably would go on an AZ-3, but at around 8kg it's a little heavy for being a travel package (in fact, it's heavier than the current mount!).

I drilled a couple of holes in the dovetail of a heritage and mounted it on an AZ3 once. It worked fine but the tube was turned so the focuser was on the opposite side and the finder was near the bottom of the scope which was not so comfortable.

But the slow motion control was nice.

Regards,

It would be better to mount the whole Dob unit on a suitable tripod as the telescope will remain balanced in all orientations. If you put the tube on a camera pan and tilt head the balance will be difficult to control at high elevations due to the weight being offset from the pivot point. :smiley:

Archived