Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are my optics borked?

PH-R

Hi, Is it time for a new telescope as I think my optics have gone? Can anyone tell me a way I can test the quality of the optics?

This is a 494sec exposure of the bright star in Auriga from the other night:

post-2610-0-63291400-1355233844_thumb.jp

This is a quick stack of a jupiter from last night, which i believe was the best I could focus:

post-2610-0-63182300-1355233909_thumb.pn

Not sure, all I know is if I take any long exposure of a bright star I get that mess :-( any faint stars give me no problem. Is there a way to collimate a refractor using an eye piece or something I may have available to me this evening?

Looks like the lens elements are under stress? Can the objective cell be loosened slightly?

Also can you see any clips protruding into the clear aperture of the scope? this could be causing some of the strange effects that you have on the image?

Ant

I could try loosening the lens housing this evening, thxs Ant. Further information, when I look at a bright star through say a 20mm eyepiece I don't get a white dot, I get a slight sparkle, on a dimer star no problem. I'm stuck, I will try some stuff tonight, if anyone wants me to take a picture or try something specific, please let me know and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

Best wishes,

Just waiting for a clear night. I have not had the opportunity since my first post, typical weather gods having a laugh :-)

Best wishes,

PS one thing did occur to me I never gave the camera to cool down so maybe that could be a factor somehow? I will update the thread as soon as I have more data and looking outside it's not going to be anytime soon grrrrr

Archived