Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 9th Dec. Io shadow

Morris Oxford

I've been trying to catch a shadow on Jupiter for ages. Always seems to be the wrong time of day or cloudy.

Even though it was very windy Sunday night I thought it was worth a shot.

The shadow event (Io) was just about at transit so Jupiter was ideally placed. Even with the wind the image seemed stable.

This was using wxAstroCapture and stacked in R6. I kept it to 1000 frames (@10fps of which best 50% were stacked) as Io moves so quick - didn't want to introduce blur.

Using seben 2x barlow and IR/UV cut filter.

Quite pleased with the darkness of the shadow - better than expected.

Jupiter_20121210_0031_07.tif

Hope im not tainting your own very fine post of Jupiter with mine it was nice to look at, I did this with a dslr, (its a first attempt) just to see, well to see what it was like (im a newb). Comparetively awful, Its a 1/2 second crop @ iso 200 placed on a 1/2 second frame @ iso 400! :smiley:

post-26748-0-05530600-1355179841_thumb.j

Was after a cluster in the camel you see but unfortunately that was behind a tree. Typical.

Had a stab at the Io shadow myself Sunday night but not as sharp an image as yours

post-16107-0-52694900-1355180785_thumb.p

it's a bit out of focus I think but unfortunaterly I started having laptop problems after one AVI. After several reboots I discovered that my hard drive was almost full :mad:

Was hoping to get the shadow & the GRS together in one shot

Alan B - pretty good. I'm always struggling with focus. This time I focussed on a nearby star in sharpcap, using the focus score feature, going past focus and back again until I found the highest score then back to jupiter and wxAstro for the actual capture.

Archived