NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Luminos Vs ES 82 deg EP's

crazyjedi

What are peoples thoughts on this? How does the Luminos range compare to the ES 82 deg range? They don't have exactly the same FL's but they are roughly similar in most cases.

For ref my scope is an f5 so not the most forgiving of EP quality.

Cheers :grin:

From what i've read they are of a similar quality and both are suitable for an F5 scope. The Meade makes the most sense at the moment while the price is so good. Although the Luminos is a good price from the States providing you escape the customs.

Hi Rob, I have both and there is little to tell between them except that the ES are more compact and they assert that the ep's are waterproof. I prefer the look and feel of the ES and I also think it has the edge in sharpness, though not much in it, they both perform well with good clear skies.

Thank you Robin. There is nothing better than the comments from genuine experience. The price between them is very tight so it really is down to the tiny margins and personal preference too. I do have experience of the ES 68 deg and it is a nice solidly made EP but I have no experience of the Celestron Luminos range. :grin: :grin:

Not wishing to confuse matters but the Skywatcher Nirvana and Sky Panorama's would be worth considering too. The latter could well be the same optically as the Luminos and the Nirvana's, if they have a suitable focal length for you, deliver very close to Nagler performance, even with fast scopes.

Just a thought !

not 100% on this but some of the meade and ES 82 Fls are unobtainable except in what seems to be an obsolete format (e.g. meade non-waterproof 5.5mm) - ES reckon the missing Fls will be available mid-Jan - so the SW/Celestron (and of course televue) are the only 82 options that i can find at the mo.

Certain ES EPs have been out of stock as long as their "summer" sale.... :D

However, one of the reasons I chose to collect a few was the choice of focal lengths available. Another being the sale pricing :D

Btw, I see in your sig you possess the mythical ES68 24mm... how do you like it?

Certain ES EPs have been out of stock as long as their "summer" sale.... :D

However, one of the reasons I chose to collect a few was the choice of focal lengths available. Another being the sale pricing :D

Btw, I see in your sig you possess the mythical ES68 24mm... how do you like it?

ES 68 deg 24mm is a fabulous EP that I love. IMHO it is something of a stand-out EP. It has that wonderfully solid feel that ES EP's posses and the views are very sharp with nice contrast.

I got it at sale price from the USA, it took forever to arrive but was worth it. :grin:

Archived