NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to combine Autostakkert and Registax?

I think I read that Emil was going to add Wavelets to the next version of AS?

I think there's only so much black magic I can cope with :)

For me, AS!2 is easier to use and generally, though not always, does at least as good a job as Registax at stacking. Sometimes AS!2 seems to introduce artefacts, but I've never seen it with planetary images. Registax v6, when it works well, does a better job than v5 and is probably the equal of AS!2. Unfortunately it also fouls things up royally if your data isn't fairly good to start with and in those situations AS!2 will have no problems at all. My experience is that Registax v5 doesn't do as good a job as the others, but seems to be very tolerant of poor data.

For these reasons I use a mixture of the two for stacking, then Registax v6 for wavelets afterwards. Other people have different experiences and find different things work for them. It's entirely possible that this is in part that we've all found something that works for us and like to stick with it, but I think also the different applications may behave differently depending on the image size and data quality.

At the moment I tend to use AS!2 for planetary images and Registax v6 for full disc lunar and solar. If either doesn't work very well then I try the other with Registax v5 as a fallback.

I'd try them, see what works for you and then keep the other in reserve if the one you've chosen doesn't always work, and be prepared to re-evaluate them if you change scope or image scale or anything like that.

James

Archived