Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar alignment mount level

I've not been levelling my mount and I set up on a inclined surface. My polar alignment has been way off and I think it's the affect of the mount level on mainly the alt adjustment. I had it in my head that levelling the mount was not critical but I think I had it wrong. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

could have put money on the first two posts being from opposite camps :grin: . this i'm afraid is something that people will never agree on. I just get mine fairly close and go from there. it can't hurt to be level but it might (i don't know) hurt to be not.

Scott

The only thing that is important with an EQ mount is that the RA axis must be parallel to the axis of the planet. Your 'scope moves around this axis to 'undo' the rotation of the Earth. So as long as your RA axis is properly polar alinged then the levelling of the mount is not required.

I would only level the mount if it is on a seriously steep slope as you don't want the force of gravity taking control half way through an observing session and depostiting your beloved equipment all over the ground.......

Archived