Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter with Europa 29|11|12

CKemu

Well it's certainly winter now, with the average temperature being in the minus zone now! Still waiting on Orion to ship a dew band to Telescope House - it's been over a month now, which reminds me why astronomy has more than mechanical and weather frustrations!

I really must stop attempting to focus my webcam/barlow using the primary mirror, and remember to plug in my crayford, though I'd kill for some kind of remote focusing device!

I had PHD do some guiding for me, but from my porch I couldn't get a star to sort out my awful dec drift, so PHD was having to work hard (2000ms hard on dec).

Still, this remains one of my best efforts and the first time I've a) seen the shadow from a Jovian moon on Jupiter's upper atmosphere, and B) first attempt at making a time lapse!

Tech details:

Shot between 21:15GMT and 22:30 GMT on the 29th of November 2012.

Shot using a Meade LX90 8" SCT with the Orion StarShoot IV Colour Imager, in conjunction with a Meade 3x barlow.

3x barlow takes the scope to: f/30 | 6096mm fl

Seeing was variable, but mostly average - 6/10

post-9886-0-27231400-1354315902_thumb.jp

Archived