Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 upgrade

madatter

Good morning everbody.

After a great deal off thought im going to up grade my mount from the EQ2 that came with it 10 years ago to an EQ5.

Will the original rings/bar that came with 130p fit a EQ5 mount or do I need new ones?

thanks

I think the Skywatcher dovetail bar/rings should be standard across the range? Looking at the pics on FLO, I think the fitted rings/bar should go on the eq5 fine. Might just be worth dropping a quick email to FLO to confirm?

Ah. I thought they were all standard. Sorry. The EQ5 is a nice mount though, and you could always get the goto to motorised upgrade kit later. I find it is good with my shorter refractors and with my 8SE sct as well.

If you have to buy a new bar anyway - you can upgrade the saddle on the EQ5 to take a Losmandy bar - a more secure and solid fitting. FLO have the part.

A Losmandy saddle and dovetail would be overkill for a 130p. Vixen dovetail is more than enough for that scope (and a lot of other scope). No one in their right mind would spend £170+ on a L saddle and dovetail upgrade for a £100 scope that weights 4kg. A SW Vixen bar cost £15

The Losmandy saddle and dovetail upgrade may be justify if the OP plans on getting a heavy OTA (e.g. C925, 200p) for imaging. Otherwise that upgrade will be a waste of money and he will be better off spending that cash on a set of dual axis motors or a GOTO upgrade. Also, the ADM saddle have motor clearance issue and it is incompatible with a number of GOTO and dual axis motor upgrades on the market.

Archived