Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymaster 15x70

Freddy L

Hello everybody, I'm new in the forum and I would like to buy the Celstron´s Astromaster 15x70 binoculars. I already have an Astromaster 130 but I´ve been reading that a nice pair of binoculars can be a nice compliment, does anybody have this pair of binoculars? could you give me some advise and tell me if they are worth the money? (I found them for 50 bucks on Amazon) Thank you all

P.S. I´m From Mexico, sorry if i wrote something wrong :)

For the price, they're ok. I tried them a while back as a possible replacement for my hawke 8x42s.

To be honest, i wasn't impressed optically, certainly nowhere near as sharp as the hawkes, nor were they as comfortable. The extra light grasp was a bonus though.

Hand-held, they were somewhat frustrating. I'm a strong guy, but they were just too cumbersome to hold steady. A tripod is a must, unless you'l be laying in a recliner or something.

If you are planning on hand-holding, i'd recommend a decent 10x50. You'l lose a little light grasp, but the steadier views will let you see more.

Bought myself a pair last week from Amazon ,nice quality and the light gathering is very good fro the price,but a tripod or some form of rest is definitely required as they are quite heavy for more than a minute of use,,, honestly didn't realise the value of binoculars until I actually started to use them, seeing with both eyes is literally eye opening!!

Jupiter and 3 moons can be seen nicely and star hopping is much more fun- only bought the bino's purely as a means to have a quick viewing session rather than having to set up scopes and all that entails,,, Very good value for money.

As said before they are well priced but not the best optically, but a good starting point.

i use mine hand held, I found a mount or tripod defeats the point of binos, but I do find things to lean on once I've found an object to steady the view.

one tip to hand hold them is to hold them at the end by the lens not the body like you would with a smaller set of binos, I find this is less tiring and the view much steadier.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a pair of these and for the price they are good value and they are my "weapon of choice" for viewing M45.

My pair had collimation problems but a slight adjustment on one screw sorted it

By the way - your english is fine :smiley:

Archived