Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Found it! (NGC1981)

Letchy

I finaly found Orion's nebula after trying for a few days!

Tonight, the weather conditions are cloudy... But it's the kind of 'cloudy' where the clouds like to appear and reappear every so often, which can be distracting. I was about to finish my gazing when I noticed Orion's belt in the sky and just had to have a crack at seeing the nebula... Low and behold I managed to see the beaut! Even at full zoom, I couldn't see incredible detail or colour, for that matter (seems blurry/faint too) through my 10x50s but oh boy, did I feel good and I still do right now, writing to you lovely people not even 10minutes after viewing!

Viewing this amazing wonder now makes me crave my first scope (Skywatcher 130P) even more now... Seriously can not wait to get it! I hope everybody can find M31 like I did tonight... I may go back to see if I can can catch her before she disappears behind my house tonight, haha.

Clear skies, and happy hunting! :)

The Great Orion Nebula (M42 rather than NGC1981 which is an open cluster slightly above it) is a magnificent sight isn't it? You won't see colour unfortunately, the cones in your eyes that detect colour information simply aren't sensitive enough - even in the larger scopes it's still a grey (some people see a greenish colour) fuzzy object but still superb for all of that. M31 is a cracker too - if you're ever at a site with dark skies then you should be able to see it with the naked eye.

Congratulations and clear skies :)

Thanks guys :) I know I added some of the wrong names etc, but I was still excited to know that I had glimpsed something s spectacular, and the amount of time the light had taken to reach my eyes!

Yes, it was a very profitable sight, thank ylou Andrew! Although, my hands were quite shaky haha.

Archived