NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First lunar imaging

long_arms

I got the Point Grey firefly and an spc900 adapter (perfect fit) through today and despite it being a tad cloudy, I was too excited not to try it out.

I just aimed at a nice looking crater and did a 30 second capture at 60fps, with a skywatcher 200p (no barlow).

Not much processing with this but I'm happy with my first picture, its the crater clavius I believe. post-26081-0-86879900-1353703096_thumb.j

My other half has bought me a NexImage Solar System imager second hand for Christmas, but he wanted me to try it out so if it didnt work, he could send it back... I have now taken my first ever still image and I was rather proud of myself.... until I saw yours!! That is amazing!!

I'm hoping that the fact that I have no idea how to use the software is the reason why my image is so pants in comparison to yours!! Now I'm off to hang my head in shame (and buy a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count')...

Thanks so much!

First of all I would like to apologise...the first picture is actually with the stock skywatcher 2x barlow.

I used firecapture to capture and then Pipp and registax. Firecapture was really easy to use, (its similar to sharpcap).

Here are the other 2 images I have from tonight, the first one is without a barlow (clavius in the bottom lefthand corner) and the other one is just a random area I went to before I came in as it was by now far too cloudy.

I think I went a bit mad with the wavelets in registax :/

No barlow

No specific crater

My other half has bought me a NexImage Solar System imager second hand for Christmas, but he wanted me to try it out so if it didnt work, he could send it back... I have now taken my first ever still image and I was rather proud of myself.... until I saw yours!! That is amazing!!

I'm hoping that the fact that I have no idea how to use the software is the reason why my image is so pants in comparison to yours!! Now I'm off to hang my head in shame (and buy a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count')...

There is a book on planetary imaging with webcams by Martin Mobberley that may be a worthwhile read. But if you're not happy with your image, post it in the appropriate area and there will be plenty of advice on what you might need to do to get better.

James

Thanks so much!

First of all I would like to apologise...the first picture is actually with the stock skywatcher 2x barlow.

I used firecapture to capture and then Pipp and registax. Firecapture was really easy to use, (its similar to sharpcap).

Here are the other 2 images I have from tonight, the first one is without a barlow (clavius in the bottom lefthand corner) and the other one is just a random area I went to before I came in as it was by now far too cloudy.

I think I went a bit mad with the wavelets in registax :/

For your first images with that camera I think there's nothing to be ashamed of there. Well done.

Wavelets feel a bit like black magic but they are genuinely based on sound signal processing theory. Good quality initial data seems to respond to them much better than lower quality data, so it's always worth taking the time to get things as near perfect as you can to start with.

James

There is a book on planetary imaging with webcams by Martin Mobberley that may be a worthwhile read. But if you're not happy with your image, post it in the appropriate area and there will be plenty of advice on what you might need to do to get better.

James

Cheers James... I'll check it out...

Archived