Photographing a Moon ring

Since I've seen one this evening, anyone care to offer hints on how to photograph a Moon ring? I'm really not at all sure how to go about capturing the ring without massively blowing out the moon itself.

James

I wish I knew James , I've tried myself before to no avail .

I had a beauty up here a few weeks ago but it was too big to get in the frame , even at 18mm .

Exposure wise it was a nightmare , to get a hint of the ring to show meant the glare from the Moon nearly reached the ring itself so I gave up in disgust and just sat staring at it's beauty instead .

We need one of those mask thingy's that the Solar scopes use to blank out the disc . . .

Steve.

I have only shot one using a 10-20mm Sigma on a 1000D body but I blew the moon out on purpose to get more of the ring effect. I did shoot some shorter exposures to try an HDR but I couldn't get a good blend at all :(

Just goes to show how much dynamic range our eyes really have, they are pretty amazing really. Our eyes don't have long exposure but they do seem to out perform any camera when it comes to coping with bright lights and dark areas at the same time.

Archived