Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece Upgrade

I have been observing for several years using a Zhumell 8" dob (f5.9). I have the original eyepieces, as well as some others that I have bought since getting the scope. The two eyepieces that I use the most are a Baader-Hyperion 8mm and a Baader-Hyperion 21mm. I also use an Explore Scientific 25mm and an OPT 42mm for wider field views. I am very happy with my current scope, especially now that I have finally learned to keep it collimated. At some point, probably several years from now, I will upgrade to a larger scope with better optics, something along the lines of the Teeter STS 11" dob (f4.5). My suspicion is that the faster telescopescope will require better eyepieces to get the most out of it, so I am considering building a better set; this should also enhance my observing in the interim. I am considering the Televue Panoptic 35mm as my first purchase, with shorter focal length eyepieces to follow. I wear eyeglasses that correct for mild astigmatism, so long eye relief is a must. I would appreciate any thoughts on which direction I should go.

The 35mm Pan will give a very large exit pupil with the F4.5 scope further down down the road. So you may want to look at the 31mm Nagler instead. Or the 30mm Pentax XW.

I've looked through someone else's 12" F4 Orion dob with a 13mm Ethos....the view was gobsmacking. Just under 100x with a 100deg afov = a true field of 1.05deg. Just amazing!

Our 35mm Panoptic is a cracking eyepiece but is a bit of a disaster in our new F4.4 dob! The exit pupil at that speed is way too high for us and the views are very disappointing, washed out and bad contrast. That's just us, it does vary per person. I'd recommend to check out exit pupil if you haven't yet!

Thanks. The note about exit pupil prompted some research, and a 35 mm eyepiece certainly doesn't look appropriate for the future scope. The 31mm Nagler is a bit out of my price range, and I can't seem to find the 30 mm Pentax. Would a step down to something like the 30 mm Vixen LVW be worthwhile, or wiser to hold out for the Nagler?

If you can try one out at a local outreach or something, it'd be worth considering an Explore Scientific 82 degree in a 30mm. It's nearly as good as the Nagler but $250 new... you should be able to pick up a used one for less (Astromart?). ES lists 21mm eye relief but they're usually a couple of mm optimistic. Just be aware that like with the Nagler and Panoptics in the longer focal lengths, it's quite heavy (1kg/2.2lbs)

Archived