Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

problems with DSS when trying to stack RAW files, help!

Chris81

Hi

I am relatively new to the imaging and processing stuff, but one thing has really stumped me, even after watching various tutorials on DSS and stacking.

I use a Canon 1100D DSLR and have had strange issues when stacking the raw files in DSS. as one would expect when the final image comes up (having stacked lights, darks, flats, bias etc...) a sort of grey faded and unprocessed imageo top appear in the main window. However, when I do this, even with clear images with good star visibility, it often comes up with an error message saying it could only stack 1 out of 10 or 20 of the files?! and when i do eventually get it to stack the images, it comes up with a small portion of the actual image in a very pixely and odd coloured image, which covers a small section of the window in a rectangular fashion. the only time i can get away from this issue is by using Jpeg files to stack instead, but of course I am losing a lot of the quality in doing so. any advice please?! It really is quite frustrating :huh::embarassed:

Thanks in advance

Chris

I had to try atleast 10 times with different settings before I could stack my first M31. You could first make sure that star detection threshhold is so you detect around 20 stars, also I think I succeded after I removed the subs that had been given a low score by the program.

My suggestion is to fiddle around with sub selection and setting, most likely it should work with the right combination.

Hi

I am relatively new to the imaging and processing stuff, but one thing has really stumped me, even after watching various tutorials on DSS and stacking.

I use a Canon 1100D DSLR and have had strange issues when stacking the raw files in DSS. as one would expect when the final image comes up (having stacked lights, darks, flats, bias etc...) a sort of grey faded and unprocessed imageo top appear in the main window. However, when I do this, even with clear images with good star visibility, it often comes up with an error message saying it could only stack 1 out of 10 or 20 of the files?! and when i do eventually get it to stack the images, it comes up with a small portion of the actual image in a very pixely and odd coloured image, which covers a small section of the window in a rectangular fashion. the only time i can get away from this issue is by using Jpeg files to stack instead, but of course I am losing a lot of the quality in doing so. any advice please?! It really is quite frustrating :huh::embarassed:

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hi Chris

The problem your having with DSS showing you just a rectangular image is down to your not using the latest version of DSS.

Archived