Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on first real scope purchase requested.

I am looking to purchase my first decent telescope, I have a limited budget for now around the £1000 mark,

with the intention of upgrading over the years.

I briefly owned a 102mm AZ GOTO refractor, but being tall and 'old' I couldn't handle all the crouching needed to view the live image when viewing objects near the zenith so combined with the poor electrical connection between the power pack and the mount, this sealed its return

My current thoughts are to get an HEQ5 SynTrek mount as a platform that I can keep for several years

and to start with a smaller OTA, like the Skywatcher Explorer 130P-DS OTA to keep within my budget, then later upgrade to

Skywatcher Explorer 250P-DS OTA or similar when I can afford it.

My interest is imaging with DSLRs, more than live viewing, but my teenage kids are of the Xbox generation and will want to be able to

get some instant gratification through the eyepiece. Live in an urban area with the usual light pollution, but fortunatley the council turn off

the street lights at midnight.

Is there any drawback to using a HEQ5 SynTrek mount with a light OTA and is my proposed starting setup reasonable?

I am looking to purchase my first decent telescope, I have a limited budget for now around the £1000 mark,

with the intention of upgrading over the years.

I briefly owned a 102mm AZ GOTO refractor, but being tall and 'old' I couldn't handle all the crouching needed to view the live image when viewing objects near the zenith so combined with the poor electrical connection between the power pack and the mount, this sealed its return

My current thoughts are to get an HEQ5 SynTrek mount as a platform that I can keep for several years

and to start with a smaller OTA, like the Skywatcher Explorer 130P-DS OTA to keep within my budget, then later upgrade to

Skywatcher Explorer 250P-DS OTA or similar when I can afford it.

My interest is imaging with DSLRs, more than live viewing, but my teenage kids are of the Xbox generation and will want to be able to

get some instant gratification through the eyepiece. Live in an urban area with the usual light pollution, but fortunatley the council turn off

the street lights at midnight.

Is there any drawback to using a HEQ5 SynTrek mount with a light OTA and is my proposed starting setup reasonable?

Hello

You are thinking in the right direction. I believe that the HEQ5 will be very good with the 130PDS. However, the 250 will be too heavy. I would even go as far as saying that the 250PDS is on the edge of too heavy for the NEQ6, for imaging.

My suggestion would be to atleast consider the NEQ6 if you have the ambition to load heavier OTA's on it later. If you go for the HEQ5 now, you might risk having to upgrade it along with your next scope, resulting in a bigger investment. So by considering a heavier mount now, you might be able to save yourself more in the end by only having to purchase a mount once.

Also, welcome to the forums :)

My suggestion would be to atleast consider the NEQ6 if you have the ambition to load heavier OTA's on it later. If you go for the HEQ5 now, you might risk having to upgrade it along with your next scope, resulting in a bigger investment. So by considering a heavier mount now, you might be able to save yourself more in the end by only having to purchase a mount once.

Thanks for the quick response. I see the NEQ6 PRO on FLO, but only the EQ6 in the non GOTO version, is the NEQ6 Pro Synscan worth the extra over the EQ6 Syntrek? I'd rather start out with a non-goto setup to save a few quid and learn my way around the sky if it is not a false economy. I dont mind saving up for a few more months than rushing in and regretting later

Thanks for the quick response. I see the NEQ6 PRO on FLO, but only the EQ6 in the non GOTO version, is the NEQ6 Pro Synscan worth the extra over the EQ6 Syntrek? I'd rather start out with a non-goto setup to save a few quid and learn my way around the sky if it is not a false economy. I dont mind saving up for a few more months than rushing in and regretting later

The NEQ-6 is much more accurate at guiding and thus is a far better mount for astrophotography if that is where you wish to go. You don't necessarily need to get the Synscan, but it is cheaper than getting the Syntrek (tracks object in the FOV) and then upgrading to Synscan via a controller. Even if you do get the Synscan, you don't need to use the GOTO function, you can use it as a normal mount (I think anyway).

Alternatively, get a large dobsonian (8" or 10") and learn the sky from there, but astrophotography will be very difficult without an equatorial mount.

That's a difficult question once again.

I love my Synscan GOTO.

I might be inclined to recommend taking the Syntrek if you plan on setting up a Laptop based EQmod rig right away. If you really want to dive into imaging, you will probably end up here at some point for controlling the mount, camera and guider.

Personally I will run unguided with just mount, scope, synscan and camera the first season(s), so I will be heavily relying on the Synscan until I feel I want to take the next step in computer controlling.

Therefore I recommend the Synscan, from my point of view.

Like Naemeth said, there is another route to take if you want to learn the sky first, that is to go the dobsonian way first. However, I once again feel that you should put the cash into what you really want to do wich seems to be imaging. You can still use an EQ-mount and a small scope for lots of great viewing (apart from imaging), however a dob is basicly only for visual use.

Edit: I also believe you should learn to find your way in the sky, but that doesn't mean a GOTO will be bad. I usually take great care to find the object's constellation and general area before I let the GOTO take me there. Atleast for new objects. Also, you will find many occasions when a simple binocular is to prefer over setting up your NEQ6. Then you will be able to learn to find your way in a relaxed manner.

Hi

My advice would be. Go and see one of these huge heavy mounts in the flesh before ordering. They are prohibitively heavy.

If you're going to have to carry this set up outside every time you wanna observe......think very carefully and be realistic. A huge heavy EQ mounted scope is going to have to be lifted up. Both the mount head, and the scope are going to be have to be heaved into position on top of a tripod or pier. Not an easy task to do every single time you wanna observe.

Many moons ago I used to do this with an EQ mounted 10" newt. Believe me the novelty soon wears off. I sure wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will wait until I can afford the NEQ6 Pro in a couple of months, rather than regretting rushing in to a purchase now.

I had considered the skyliner 150P or 200P Dob as an affordable learning tool to find my way around and putting off the main purchase till next Autumn, but having never used a dob before the idea of a plywood mount put me off.

Hi

My advice would be. Go and see one of these huge heavy mounts in the flesh before ordering. They are prohibitively heavy.

If you're going to have to carry this set up outside every time you wanna observe......think very carefully and be realistic. A huge heavy EQ mounted scope is going to have to be lifted up. Both the mount head, and the scope are going to be have to be heaved into position on top of a tripod or pier. Not an easy task to do every single time you wanna observe.

Many moons ago I used to do this with an EQ mounted 10" newt. Believe me the novelty soon wears off. I sure wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

I appreciate the advise, if my local Astronomy club gets back to me I'll see if I can find someone local with an equivalent mount. Is it inadvisable to leave this kind of mount in situ, covered against the elements, and just hauling the OTA in and out?

I appreciate the advise, if my local Astronomy club gets back to me I'll see if I can find someone local with an equivalent mount. Is it inadvisable to leave this kind of mount in situ, covered against the elements, and just hauling the OTA in and out?

You may get away with that, just make sure that it's a fully waterproof cover, and is very well wrapped and strapped down so wind doesn't blow the cover away. I highly doubt any wind will blow an NEQ-6 away, especially not if it has the counterweights on.

Your thinking is sound, everyone in my astronomy club hinted that it was a wise choice to put the cash on a real mount. I have not regretted.

Speaking about leaving in situ, I wouldn't risk leaving the head with delicate electronics outside unless you take extra caution. However it's probably doable if you put a bucket over and wrap it up extra not to let moisture inside. Later you could consider pouring concrete and even building a small shed with a roll off roof. A lot of people end up doing that.

I could also recommend getting steves book, "Make Every Photon Count" it covers all of the basics, from equipment to setup to processing including concrete ;)

http://www.skyatnightimages.co.uk/ He's also a regular on SGL.

Hi baalel. I'm surprised that HEQ5 SynTrek won't manage a 250P-DS? Anyway, before spending £1000, I would consider getting a 200p dob or even a 150P dob, just to look around the skies & get that instant gratification. You could also consider getting a 200P with an EQ5 and then buy a small imaging scope later on. I got into imaging at the end of last year, and used just this set-up, I bought a 2nd hand Megrez 72 + flattener for imaging, but to be honest, I also got some decent pics of the Orion Nebula with the 200P/EQ5 set-up.

@ Naemeth - I live near Norwich :grin:

I've used an 10" ota on an NEQ6 pro and it really is a bit too big for imaging - it only just makes the grade for observing to be honest. Its a big scope with a large sail effect (even in modest breeze) and is far better suited to a dobsonian mount. I personally wouldn't go bigger than 8" newtonian on NEQ6 pro for imaging which will be a very capable setup. Or alternatively a wide field short tube refractor like Meg 72 as suggested (or GT81, ED80, etc).

But you don't necessarily need an NEQ6 cos the HEQ5 will take the smaller refractors with ease. And it will take an 8" newtonian very nicely for observing. I'm talll and getting old too and the HEQ5 with these two ota's will be a sight easier to handle and more portable than NEQ6 pro (which is very heavy). You could certainly leave the tripod outside and bring the HEQ5 head and ota's in with no trouble. Plus you'd save a lot of dosh.

But satisfy yourself with a visit to a local astro soc on observing night - you'll soon see what I'm talking about. Hth :)

After reading all the advice, I am leaning towards the 200P Dob as a start for visual work, it will give the kids the gratification they need and in the meanwhile I will go see an NEQ6 if I can find someone in my neck of the light polluted woods who owns one.

Thanks again.

Archived