Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any ideas what is happening here? Sun spots 14th November

sologuitarist61

8185219977_00c1f6c5d8_b.jpg

Close up of sun spots 14th November 2012 by sologuitarist61, on Flickr

OK Guys, does any one have any idea what is causing the 'doubling' near the suns limb? First noticed it after stacking in Registax5, but have found that it is on every image in that stack. The only thing that has changed from what I normally do is that, to make attachment easier of my Baader zoom (the base is so wide it interfers with the set screw on the 1.25" holder)t I have used a par focal ring to hold it a little further away. This is a single image and not the result of stacking.

Any ideas welcome :smiley:

I can't remember if you take the picture afocal through the Baader or if it is at prime focus? If it is through the Baader I would guess it is an internal reflection from the Baader zoom and putting the ring in has changed the reflection so it is now in view.

Does it appear on the otherside equally?

The only other thing I can think of is a Registax artifact, they sometimes give you funny things. In addition to the second line I can see some semi circular bands as well.

Are you processing in PS or GIMP? I ask as it looks a bit like "blotching" that you can get with 8 bit processing? It may just be a reflection as there are no obvious double sunspots anywhere.

Just ahd a second look - its not symmetrical from the top (wider) to the bottom (narrower) - very odd??

I can't remember if you take the picture afocal through the Baader or if it is at prime focus? If it is through the Baader I would guess it is an internal reflection from the Baader zoom and putting the ring in has changed the reflection so it is now in view.

Does it appear on the otherside equally?

The only other thing I can think of is a Registax artifact, they sometimes give you funny things. In addition to the second line I can see some semi circular bands as well.

I'm using the Baader afocally and the only difference is the par focal ring, so will have to try with and without if we ever get the sun again. Not a Registax artefact as this is straight from the DSLR.

Are you processing in PS or GIMP? I ask as it looks a bit like "blotching" that you can get with 8 bit processing? It may just be a reflection as there are no obvious double sunspots anywhere.

Just ahd a second look - its not symmetrical from the top (wider) to the bottom (narrower) - very odd??

Processing in PS CS6, but don't think it is that as I have been using CS6 for a while now

Thanks for your thought though :smiley:

I don't think is doubling as you put it. There is no ghosting or duplication that I can see. What I do see on the largest image is some sort of banding moving progressively across the image. Its more pronounced at the edges and gets fainter towards the centre. Can you see this on the unprocessed images.

Hi Richard,

I've seen similar effects when i've been capturing video in the past. Personally, i think it's a simple matter of settings. A little more on the gain would smooth it out, while adjusting the shutter speed accordingly to correct the brightness.

Baz.

Archived