Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap way to get eq5 GOTO help

Probably the cheapest is to buy the full goto upgrade equipment and add it to the mount.

Goto is not just a set of motors.

For a start they have to be the right motors and I am not sure if the dual axis ones are any good for a goto function, I suspect not.

Whatever you use as the interface to select an object to goto has to tell the motors which drive (RA and Dec) has to be used and how much.

If you get the (I think) Syntrak then you have to upgrade the handset, not a sensible route, or attach a laptop, if you have a spare laptop then it is an option otherwise a laptop costs more.

If the idea is AP then really the EQ5 is not solid enough for the 200P.

No, the dual axis motors are bog standard motors, the GOTO uses stepper motors.

The dual axis motors are stepper motors, but the Synscan GOTO uses a different type of stepper motor and some companies use servo motors (e.g. Vixen, Celestron). Anyway, this doesn't change the fact that the dual axis motors are incompatible with Skywatcher Synscan GOTO.

The cheapest way to upgrade a EQ5 is to find a used GOTO upgrade kit, but they don't appear often. Alternative would be to buy an EQ5 GOTO and sell your existing mount.

Now - I've never done this (cos it involves electronics and good daytime eyesight which I don't have lol) but I believe there's a "Shoestring Astronomy" mod you can do to the dual axis motors which allows you to hook up to a PC and drive the motors from Stellarium or CduC for a very cheap goto setup.

I know a guy who did this - but he was an electrician so I'm not sure of all the details. But if you google "shoestring astronomy" and find the mod it may "just" get you past having to upgrade to full goto. Nice little project if you can do it - would be great to hear how you got on should you choose to accept this assignment lol. :)

(*lights fusewire and watches squirrel hop around assault course lol)

Archived