NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Logging what you've seen? How / what?

Cjg

So I've been stargazing for nearly two years - and my enthusiasm to just "see it" has meant that I've not bothered to record anything; there's always another weekend / evening to go stargazing right?

But with the Moore winter marathon, I've observed objects like Kemble's Cascade and NGC 1502, that I would not ordinarily have not bothered with and think it would probably be a good idea to have some record.

I have an old filofax cover that I could use, is there and established format for recording observations?

What are you guys using?

Thanks,

Chris

Not really, anything you think important to you or possibly anyone else.

What it is, date+time, your location as a minimum, scope being used. Area for notes for future reference, probably a big area as notes could be almost anything and extensive.

Search for astro software and see what is common to them all.

So I've been stargazing for nearly two years - and my enthusiasm to just "see it" has meant that I've not bothered to record anything; there's always another weekend / evening to go stargazing right?

But with the Moore winter marathon, I've observed objects like Kemble's Cascade and NGC 1502, that I would not ordinarily have not bothered with and think it would probably be a good idea to have some record.

I have an old filofax cover that I could use, is there and established format for recording observations?

What are you guys using?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

This sounds just like a post i was thinking of posting today after last nights session.

I started the Moore Winter Marathon last night, and had to print the observation sheets off before starting to record my progress.

I like you have been doing this hobby for two years, and have taken no notes apart from a few observing reports here on SGL.

After printing off the Moore winter marathon, and logging my findings last night, i am seriously concidering using the same page layout for any future observing sessions. I read back what i'd wrote down last night and it seems so simple and i can imagine in sessions to come it will come in handy for reference, ie. Seeing conditions, equiptment used, etc, etc.

D.C

Thanks for the replies and links / attachments.

I like the idea of the same format as the Moore Winter Marathon - my Sky Safari has an observed list, so just have to see what I can add to the data.

Cheers

Chris

I've kept log books for years. I use cheap plastic cover A5 ruled notebooks from WH Smith's.

I start a separate page for each observing sessions and note the date. location, start and end times, weather, Moon phase, seeing and transparancy. For each object observed/imaged I write down the instruments/filters/eyepieces/cameras/exposure etc. used and a general decsiption of my impression of the object. Sometimes this is quite technical, sometimes it's more aesthetic.

I'm now on book number 5.

Archived