Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51 with 50mm lens

Just wanted to play a little with my 50mm lens while the weatehr wasn't good enough to use the scope, and processed little over 1 hour og exposure in DSS, and cropped quite a bit.

550d with 5 min subs ISO400. Lens at F/3.2. Unguided, DSLR mounted on HEQ5 mount.

Can't wait for good enough weather to point my scope at it instead... :)

Edit: noticed quality and res was lowerd quite a bit here after uploading. Full res: http://jannis.no-ip.info/astro/m51-50mm.jpg

Sorry for slow server though.

post-9520-0-92993800-1352584102_thumb.jp

Thats great, I've not seen a 50mm M51 before, have you cropped it much as it doesn't look significantly wider than my M51 at 388mm? I'm really starting to like camera lenses for widefield work, and I love the full res version some nice colour starting to come through:)

Thanks. :)

Starfox: yes, it's cropped quite a bit. Not sure exactly how much, but it's more or less just a tiny part of the original picture.

Field size is 5.11 x 3.28 degrees, but haven't calculated what focal lenght that would be equal too on the 1.6 crop sensor.

Archived