Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

California Nebula - in between the clouds and the fireworks!

James

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Andy, it was 15x 5 min subs :smiley: - I fear that 900 second subs would probably burn the CCD out :cool: ... I did wonder when I went for the H694 whether the smaller pixels would require longer exposures to collect enough light but the Borg seems to be pulling down more photons than I had expected :)

For all those who have commented on the '3' feature that is in there - I debated long and hard about putting in a little picture of a Borg. Perhaps thats one for April Fools Day - I wouldn't want any copyright issues. :grin:

Have you tried 10 minute subs at f 4.3 ?

Next clear night with the moon there I'll do so. I want to add more to my Soul nebula image but for the next few weeks whilst the moon is away I need to get some RGB for my M33 image.

I need to try this scope with 30 minute subs too - should be interesting but there's so little clear time that I tend to go for lots of shorter 5 minute subs.

James

Hi James - Sorry - I TOTALLY misread the exposure details (somehow I saw 5x15 mins, not 15x5 mins - Must be my age!)

I know the 285 chip isn't quite as sensitive as the 694 (and of course the resolution is vastly different with the chip/pixel size), but that might begin to explain why my recent exploits into RGB imaging with the Borg (even though only at f5.5) are so noisy and the larger stars so bloated - Whilst you were shooting your Ha, I was shooting 15x15mins through a red filter... with a mag 2.9 star bang in the frame!

(I feel a right idiot :o - I think i can probably halve my exposures!)

It'll be interesting to see the Borg taking colour. NB gives any refractor a much easier time. Still I think it'll be good.

James, I do 15 minute Ha subs at F3.9. I could do longer ones. I'd give it a whizz, at least to see what happens.

Olly

Olly, if we get clear skies in the next two weeks or so I'll be taking colour for my M33 image... and I'll definitely be trying longer subs too. I'm going to add to my Soul Nebula image with some longer subs... even if it takes months to get enough clear skies...

James

Archived