Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher ED Deluxe 2x two-inch Barlow Lens

cosmojaydee

Just Received the Skywatcher ED Deluxe 2x Barlow Lens from FLO, just want to say thanks to FLO for great service once again, cant fault you guys for service, but one quibble, will you please stop supplying me with free cloud cover , I didn't order it or need. I have read a few reviews on SGL , some good some not so good. If and when I get to use it , i'll let you know my thoughts

Jeff

Hi Jeff - interested to here how you get along with this, I'm using identical rig apart from those two important letters "DS", and currently using 2" Meade 4000 56mm and Skywatcher 26mm Super Possl lenses.

Quite a large range on price with the 2" Barlows, but having blown most of the free cash keen to get the best possible within a £ 100 budget.

Blimey ! - that 56mm eyepiece will be giving you an 11mm exit pupil with an F/5 scope SnakeyJ :shocked:

You will be loosing much of the aperture of your scope with that.

On the barlow, I had one and it is optically good for it's price but I found the long barrel would not fully insert into the focuser and diagonal drawtubes I tried it with. This meant that I needed to find about 10mm more inwards focuser movement as to get eyepieces to focus. Fine if you have that travel available but a pain if you don't.

I solved that problem by removing the extension tube from the focuser and using the 2" ED barlow as the extension tube, without the barlow elements attached. It had the side benefit of replacing the standard EP locking thumbscrews, with it's brass compression rings. On the rare occasions that I want to barlow, I pull it out, screw in the barlow nosepiece and reinsert, but not quite all the way.

Russell

I solved that problem by removing the extension tube from the focuser and using the 2" ED barlow as the extension tube, without the barlow elements attached. It had the side benefit of replacing the standard EP locking thumbscrews, with it's brass compression rings. On the rare occasions that I want to barlow, I pull it out, screw in the barlow nosepiece and reinsert, but not quite all the way.

Russell

Ditto, I don't use my supplied adaptors at all now :)

Blimey ! - that 56mm eyepiece will be giving you an 11mm exit pupil with an F/5 scope SnakeyJ :shocked:

You will be loosing much of the aperture of your scope with that.

The meade 56mm is a new acquisition, bundled with my new scope/mount - possibly not a keeper, but will experiment with this and barlow to see how it performs against the SW 26mm.

The meade 56mm is a new acquisition, bundled with my new scope/mount - possibly not a keeper, but will experiment with this and barlow to see how it performs against the SW 26mm.

I'm sure it's a great eyepiece in the right scope but maybe not a fast newtonian :smiley:

Someone with a large SCT would love it though.

• 2 weeks later...

John,

By way of follow up on the 56mm meade 4000 - insufficient travel on the stock synta focuser for this lens, though I could achieve approx focus by loosening the retaining screws and pulling it up another 25mm+ - don't think I'll bother sourcing an extension tube so will probably put this up on ebay before Christmas as trying to save up for the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm clickstop zoom.

BR - Jake

Archived