Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Switching prisms.

Merlin

If I switched the PST's pentaprism for a standard 1.25" right-angled prism, can I insert the latter into the pentaprism holder, so as to continue using the black-box's focuser? Also, how long would the eyepiece extension tube need to be to accomodate the change in the focal position?

That would depend on the light paths between the two types of prism. I would guess the right angled prism will give a longer back focus than the pentaprism. How much would depend on the prism sizes. You could get a rough idea by simply sketching the side views of the two prisms and doing a quick pencil line trace and measure the lengths of the internal reflections

The RA prism will give a longer back focus as mentioned. You probably can't use it in conjunction with the original PST focusing system as the pentaprism has optical properties different to that of a RA prism. I have replaced a couple of PST pentaprisms with external RA prisms during PST mods as these are incorporated into the larger Coronado blocking filter diagonals. There is a general opinion that a good RA prism is better than the stock PST pentaprism.

Thanks. Does this mean that the extra back-focus would allow for attaching a shortish focuser to the external back face of the black box?

I have a small rack-and-pinion ( all-metal ) focuser for 24.5mm eyepieces. I'd like to continue with the original BF5 for the time being, if possible.

Probably not enough extra back focus to suit a rack and pinion. During some preliminary experiments I found that smooth side eyepieces push pulled to a focus without problem, the eyepice locking screws are nylon so it doesn't mark the barrell.

Would the Borg focuser need to be on top or at the back of the black-box? You mentioned sliding the eyepiece back and forth to get focus. it occured to me that, if I used a zoom eyepiece ( which I do with the PST ), I would be able to reach critical focus by raising or lowering the whole eyepiece to the required height, then, turning the zoom ring to reach exact focus.

I don't want to botch the job. I've already done a stage 1 mod on the PST in question but, as you know, a good R.A. prism will produce a brighter and cleaner image. All I wish to do now is replace the pentaprism with an R.A. prism.

If I viewed from the top of the box, as mentioned above with the zoom, would I only need to insert an extension tube ( approximately 100mm long ) in the existing eyepiece holder? I have several extension tubes of differing length that I can try.

Archived