Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First sketch - Io's shadow on Jupiter

Jim-a

While watching Io transit Jupiter earlier I thought I'd try my hand at a sketch for the first time. Quite surprised at how sketching it really helped me concentrate at the eyepiece and try and tease the details out.

post-23126-0-63723700-1351895025_thumb.j

thanks guys. I'll definitely be sketching more - I'm realising that what you 'see' at the eyepiece isn't just a combination of scope+eyepiece+atmosphere+LP, but also how practiced you are at picking out the detail - the act of sketching the other night 'forced' me to spend longer on the subject and now I'm a little bit more practiced than I would have been without the sketch!

Any good resources you know of for hints / tips / techniques etc?

thanks guys. I'll definitely be sketching more - I'm realising that what you 'see' at the eyepiece isn't just a combination of scope+eyepiece+atmosphere+LP, but also how practiced you are at picking out the detail - the act of sketching the other night 'forced' me to spend longer on the subject and now I'm a little bit more practiced than I would have been without the sketch!

Any good resources you know of for hints / tips / techniques etc?

Super sketch Jim. You're picking up some cracking detail there. I gave a talk to my astro soc last wednesday on astro sketching. I said that the best sketches you see are more down to the observer's ability to 'observe' rather than anything else. I think what you've said here captures that perfectly. Well done!

Archived