Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 6960 Witch's Broom in the Hubble palette

x6gas

I've had a go a reprocessing the Western Veil data that I captured the other night.

I know that some people are not fond of the Hubble Palette for this object, but I have to say I quite like it. I've had trouble controlling the colour noise - I just don't have enough data...

Taken with my TS90 APO triplet w/ Atik 460ex, CG-5 guided with PHD using an IMG0H as a guidecam.

Ha 12 x 300s subs : OIII 4 x 600s subs : SII 4 x 600s subs

All binned 1x1, stacked in AstroArt 5 and processed in Serif PhotoPlus X4.

gallery_11821_2151_835158.png

Yep, looks promising. Are you sure this is really Hubble palette though, since it's very green which is indicative of H-alpha signal thats not been selective colour converted? There's a very nice weblink which walks you through the colour conversion steps: http://bf-astro.com/hubbleP.htm this will transition green into gold-like colour if you do it right.

The Veil often responds better to simple HOO (into RGB channels), this gives the striking red/blue inter-twining colours - have a shot at this as well since you've got some great data here.

Yep, looks promising. Are you sure this is really Hubble palette though, since it's very green which is indicative of H-alpha signal thats not been selective colour converted? There's a very nice weblink which walks you through the colour conversion steps: http://bf-astro.com/hubbleP.htm this will transition green into gold-like colour if you do it right.

The Veil often responds better to simple HOO (into RGB channels), this gives the striking red/blue inter-twining colours - have a shot at this as well since you've got some great data here.

Thanks for the feedback, Martin. I had actually followed that tutorial (Badgers has posted the link on his North American nebula image) but in trying to treat the noise in the background I muted the colours and then further tweaks did seem to make the gold more green; it's more noticeable on the posted image than a local copy for some reason and I hadn't paid enough attention (I was quite pleased at reducing the noise!)

Anyway, redoing the selective colour tweaks meant that I ended up with a much better result, so thanks!

I will have a go at the Ha / OIII / OIII version too. As you can see I managed to wash out all of the star colour when processing this - I am beginning to realise how each target responds completely differently to processing... or perhaps it's because my processing is still all over the place as I experiment!

gallery_11821_2151_805505.png

Thanks Guy, thanks Gina.

Guy - I still have a long way to go with this processing lark and I know I'm not getting the most out of my equipment or the data. As I mentioned in another post, stupidly I didn't have the dew band cranked up high enough so the optics misted so I had to compromise on including a coupld of soft subs to try to include enough data. I've had the TS APO for coming up on a year now though and I do really like it..

Archived