WO SWAN or other?

Are these any good in an F6?

I'm tempted to compliment my 2 low power BSTs with something with a little wider FOV at higher mags, anything from 68 to 82 degrees really, but I don’t want to spend too much in case I don’t get on with them.

My only experience with a wide EP is my Moonfish 80 degree, which I must admit, although budget, I love it!

I'm more than happy to go second hand, but not sure what to go for. I posted a thread a while back about Meade 5000 82 UWA and they were highly recommended but I'm reluctant to spend £115+ on an EP I may not like and they don’t seem to come up very often second hand.

Budget would be up to £70 for the right EP. Or more really, I don’t have a major issue selling my BSTs to upgrade. I don’t use the 25mm much anyway since I got my 30mm monster :D

Any suggestions?

I've got a 2” Barlow so any size EP is fine.

To be honest, I as much as I like the view from my 12.5mm Sterling the eye relief is a little tight, so I'm probably looking in the region of 10 - 15mm with a minimum of about 9mm eye relief.

I can also then Barlow to get a high power planetary EP.

I could get a 12 or 15mm BST I guess, but I'm really looking for the next step up from a BST. BST quality views at 72 degrees would be ideal, that's why I had my eyes on the SWANS really, but I can't see many reviews at F6.

I used a 33mm at f8.3 and it was really nice. at f5.3 though it was pretty bad in the outer third of the field. I'd guess at f6 it might be ok but maybe slightly poor in the outer quarter at a guess. personally, I prefer the whole field to be good as there's not really much point in seeing a slushy star. In truth I fear you'll struggle to get a field as good as your BSTs for less than £100-150 new. that said, this one http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=61981 is now sold at £85 and they seem to get rave reviews.

I think you will need to pay more than £70 to get any meaningful improvement over the BST to be honest. The Nirvana does give you that though with an ultra-wide field of view which will be sharp across 90% of the field of view at F/6.

Thanks John. I'm guessing a Nirvana coming up at £85 as per Shane's post is quite rare!

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Around £90 - £100 is more common but if they don't sell then the price will often be dropped a bit.

ive been looking at simlar e/p's. indeed i posted up questions regarding william optics swans. from what ive read im leaning towards a 30 or 35mm aero ,they are only 68* though not the 82* that the nirvana offers, but i would imagine that the narrower field would suggest less distortion ? maybe not ?

ive been looking at simlar e/p's. indeed i posted up questions regarding william optics swans. from what ive read im leaning towards a 30 or 35mm aero ,they are only 68* though not the 82* that the nirvana offers, but i would imagine that the narrower field would suggest less distortion ? maybe not ?

The Nirvanas (which are the same as the William Optics UWAN's) are better corrected eyepieces in fast scopes than the Aero ED's despite their wide field of view. They are really very close to the performance of the much vaunted Tele Vue Naglers.

The Nirvanas (which are the same as the William Optics UWAN's) are better corrected eyepieces in fast scopes than the Aero ED's despite their wide field of view. They are really very close to the performance of the much vaunted Tele Vue Naglers.

i see, thanks john.

Archived