Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anti CA filters

jabberwocky

I used a William Optics VR-1 with the Skywatcher 6" F/8 I had recently. It reduced the visible CA by around 50% I would say. It did impart a slight yellowish tint to the view in return for this though.

An F/5 shows quite a lot of CA compared to an F/8 - a filter is going to reduce it a bit but there will still be plenty showing.

I've only tried one device that virtually eliminated CA in F/8 achromats and that was the Chromacor corrector. Hard to find and pricey but it really works with the right scope :grin:

The Chromacor is an optical corrector though, not a filter.

Why are chomacors not made any longer ?

Alan.

They are working on a Mk III version but the gestation period is long. Also the emergence of the chinese ED doublets dented the market for the Chromacor's given that a Chromacor costs around $500.

I see you have a LP filter in your signature? If it's a neodynium type then I've read that you can stack it with a fringe killer rather than a 'semi-apo' to turn it into a 'semi-apo' as the semi-apo is just a fringe killer with neodynium coatings. Might save you some pennies......

I couldn't tell you if they work as I haven't used one

Archived