Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader CA filter comparison

jgs001

Over the course of the past couple of months, I've added a couple of CA filters to my collection and now have the following Baader filters.

Fringe Killer (FK), Contrast Booster (CB) and Semi Apo (SA). I thought it would be good to compare them side be side (well one after the other) on my little f5 achro scope. I used the moon as the obvious test subject, and compared both visually and with the 450d at prime focus. Ok, so Visually.

CB - This worked very well and reduced the intensity of the moon nicely, however, the view had a very obvious yellow tint

FK - This also worked very well, didn't have a lot of effect on the intensity and had less of a yellow tint

SA - This worked very well also, but, and this is the most useful difference, the image seen was by far and away the most natural and balanced in terms of colouring.

Here's the images. I manually set the white balaned to Daylight to force the camera to not adjust the captured image automatically.

CB

IMG_4975.jpg

FK

IMG_4976.jpg

SA

IMG_4977.jpg

On the basis of this test, the SA filter is now going to be living in my scope. I hope that's helpful to some of you.

Nice comparison jgs001. Was the test carried out on your little Konus? If so, you're getting semi APO performance at great value for money.

I've got a semi APO scope and I use a 2" William Optics VR-1 filter to get a better image. I've taken it out on a couple of occasions, but it practically lives in my 80mm Sentinel. The image is slightly yellow with it in, but you only notice that when it's removed from the 'scope. The filter certainly reduces halo effects to almost zero, even at relatively high magnification.

Thanks guys. Neon, yep, the test was carried out on my little Konus. The Owl cluster I posted was also shot through the Konus with the SA filter in place. The only editing on those images (should have said) was a bit of sharpen in raw processing and turning the right way up.

• 3 years later...

I've found the SA filter to be most impressive in my 6" f8 achro. I've read that the VR-1 is very highly sought after and very hard to find. A stacked FK + Moon&skyglow has the same effect with slightly higher transmission values, but is costly to do so, specially in 2" format.

For me, the next step up would be a Chromocorr/Raycorr - and that's a big step up in price too!

Ant

Thank you for this jgs001, very helpful indeed. I have been considering one of these filters for my 80mm achro scope for a while now and would probably have gone for a Fringe Killer based on price. Think I will save a bit longer and go for the semi-apo instead.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived