Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ED80 - ST80 Guiding Set Up

moondog

Changed my HEQ5 set up to be an imaging platform. The C8 will be the main visual scope.

Skywatcher ED80 as imaging scope and Skywatcher ST80 as guide scope.(The extension adaptor it needs to get to focus is not shown).

Both fixed side by side on a TS duo mount bar.

The guide camera attached to the ST80 is a QHY5 guide scope. This seems to be able to pick up pretty faint guide stars. I intend to use PHD as guiding software. In a quick test looking out of the window on a fixed tripod PHD seems able to follow these faint stars OK.

I've put the ascom drivers on the laptop and using the ST4 cable look forward to trying the set up out when we get a reasonable sky.

Here's a pic of the set up.

1550_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

MD

Looks like a nice set-up you have put together.

I note that you say the C8 will be the main visual scope, but in many cases this would have a dictinct advantage over the ED80, when it comes to resolution and imaging exposure times.

Dave

Dave

I am getting a radial guider set up for the C8 which I've also just put on a wedge. I will be using the C8 for imaging solar system objects anyway for it's greater focal length and for some suitable DSO's

I intend using the C8 as the main visual scope as with the F 6.3 reducer it will pick up DSO's a treat.

I'm also deciding whether or not to get a CCD astro camera before I set off to New Zealand. If I do I will probably get the Meade F 3.3 reducer as well.

This combination should cover most situations - particularly as I can piggy back the Canon 350 with its 18 -55mm and 90 to 300mm lenses. I will then have FL's from 18 to 6000mm (with 2x and 3x Barlows).

MD

Ok, I can see where you are 'heading' now, makes sense.

I'd be inclined to buy all your 'bits & pieces' before you leave the UK, as if NZ is anything like Western Australia, astro equipment retailers are a very rare commodity indeed. I only found one in WA, and that was in Perth, but it wasn't as comprehensive as that which we are used to in the UK.

Until you visit these places, you don't realise that we are somewhat 'spoilt for choice' here in the UK.

I going to be back out in WA again, before the years end.

Cheers

Dave

Martin

I just finished downloading the Atik 16IC manual before I saw your post !

Think I'll go for the 16IC, and as you say the small chip would work well with the F3.3 reducer. With the .05x screw in Atik reducer I have the C8 would manage F2. No different from the Fastar ratio.

I've already got the B&W re-chipped Toucam for the Moon/C8 combination which I'll use with a 2x Barlow. This should give me optimum resolution for close-ups for the moon/planets.

Glad you think the combination is OK - I hope I can deliver the images.

Dave

Yes - I'd worked out that Australasia was pretty thin on the ground for astro gear. I will get as much as I can in the UK. Thanks for the tip

8)

MD

Archived