Quick Question About Clusters

Hi there all, just a question that might be daft. After seeing M45 pleiades i went to look for more open clusters. After looking at M45 and this fills my EP with 7 bright stars and other lighter ones the other clusters seemed more open. They were more sporadic and were all over the place, is this right or was i looking in the wrong place. I'm pretty sure i wasn't they just didn't seem as impressive as M45

cluster come in a variety of styles as you know you have globulars which dense and then you have open clusters like m45 but you also get ones like m39 (one of my faves) which is quite an open cluster, you probably was looking it the right place just at a cluster that is very open, i love clusters in my ed80 picking out the red stars against the bright blue ones. HTH oh and im just around the corner from in halewood village :) nice to see someone local on here

Clusters vary in richness and compression: the Double Cluster in Perseus is a pair of rich clusters and there are many more like that, though fainter. The Pleiades is very close, hence large in the sky, and this makes it exceptional. Globular clusters (e.g. M13) are the richest and most compressed, almost mini-galaxies: in binoculars they look like an unresolved fuzzy mass.

If you're seeing few stars in clusters then it could be because you're looking in the wrong place, or maybe because light pollution is spoiling the view.

Hi Daniel im still a newbie so yes nice to know there is someone local. Halewood is only 5 mile from me that would probably have better dark skies than my garden :smiley:

And Acey thanks for the response i will look out for M13 next time im out but jeez it was cold last night :shocked:

Now getting back to the OP. Have a look around for M44 (The Beehive). Its one of the most beautiful clusters there is.

Definitely my favourite object, bright, easy to find and gorgeous to look at, what's not to like. Every time it's in view I spend ages looking at it.

Definitely my favourite object, bright, easy to find and gorgeous to look at, what's not to like. Every time it's in view I spend ages looking at it.

I was delighted when Patrick Moore named it as his favourite winter 100 object. Nice to know we share the same great taste as the great man himself. I could stare at it all night. Just something about it.

Here's an online image of it (bit noisey) but what a beautiful target:

To be honest i cant see how or why its called "The Beehive". It looks more like a Chrstmas Tree to me, but that name has already been taken by the Christmas Tree Nebula. I just love M44 though.

P.S.~~~It's in the constellation of Cancer if you are looking for it.

post-5361-0-59031500-1351367929_thumb.jp

To be honest i cant see how or why its called "The Beehive". It looks more like a Chrstmas Tree to me, but that name has already been taken by the Christmas Tree Nebula. I just love M44 though

Yes, but the Christmas Tree Nebula is very, very nice indeed and very aptly named. An occaisional treat.

Barry

I wish it was one of mine.

Fraid not...............i just used it as a sample of The Beehive.

I'm not an imager................i'm a visual kind of guy.

I thought from previous posts of your's that you were purely visual that's why I was surprised and asked the question. Still a very nice image.

Archived