Mount for Skywatcher 200p

I'm not sure thats possible. You can have either a goto mount or one that doesn't break the bank but not both. :grin: . The minimum you will need is an EQ5 (non motorised)http://www.firstligh...eq5-deluxe.html . If you want goto as well, EQ5 Pro http://www.firstligh...nscan-goto.html . For a little more and if you can do without goto, HEQ5 http://www.firstligh...tcher-heq5.html

I got a HEQ5 for my 200p and so far it's great (I'm very new at this so you may want to wait for someone more experienced to come along!) It does depend on what you want to use it for. If, further down the line, you're considering astrophotography then you will need at least an HEQ5, the EQ5 won't cut it.

Try searching the forums, there are plenty of existing topics already about this. I read quite a few of them before I bought my scope and they are all very helpful.

I have a 200PDS and managed to find an HEQ5, virtually unused on eBay for £600, absolute bargain. It handles the extra weight of a camera as well so is more than sufficient for astrophotography. I looked at the EQ5 with Synscan but pushed the boat out a little for that extra stability. If you look around there are people selling all over the place, but they go sharpish so keep your eyes open.

Thanks for the quick responses, looked at some reviews of the HEQ5 pro mount and it looks the best option.

I read that the Celestron CG-5 GT GOTO was not bad also and being a bit cheaper than the heq5 pro this would be ideal if it can take the weight?...has anyone had any experience with this, using it for astrophotography also?

I deliberated over the choice but in the end went with the HEQ5 PRO. Yes it's more expensive but I read a bunch of forums saying the Celestron mount was louder (important for backyard astronomers) and slightly less stable, despite being basically the same model. I tend to find Celestron products more expensive than Skywatcher as a rule so needed to know why the HEQ5 was more than the CG-5.

Why is the HEQ5 more than the CG-5?

I will be mostly having to go to remote locations to I guess noise wouldn't be much of a problem, so its either getting the CG-5 which is slightly less stable or the HEQ5 which is around £225 more...decisions decisions

Would getting the CG-5 make it hard to do astrophotography due to it being slightly less stable then the HEQ5

Here's my 200PDS on an NEQ6 Pro for an idea of size. The paving stones are 400mm or 450mm square ( can't remember which ).

Edit - the attachment didn't attach the first time!

I think the wide angle lens you are using doesn´t exactly help giving an idea of scale - the 200mm scope appears bigger than the 450mm paving stones.

....the 200mm scope appears bigger than the 450mm paving stones.

It is bigger, 550mm longer!! It's not actually a wide angle lens, but there's more paving visible in the background than directly under the scope, and with the OTA towards the camera rather than the mount being closer, it looks quite big. However, it is a big lump on the NEQ6 or HEQ5, and it doesn't shrink getting it into cars or through doorways either!

I was under the impression that in terms of payload and stability it goes EQ5 - CG5 - HEQ5, in ascending order. The EQ5 and CG5 being on a par with the CG5 having better bearings and 2" tripod (compared with 1.75" on the EQ5). The downside being the CG5 being thought of as quite noisy when slewing at the highest speed.

Happy to be corrected though :)

Archived