NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5,AZ4,Skytee or something else?

1stfishinspace

Hi folks,

as the title suggests, I'm after a mount with enough guts to support my new Altair Wave 102mm 715 super triplet (about 6k OTA) with 2" ep's and Telrad.

It's for visual use only and I'm drawn to the AZ4 since I love the simplicity of alt-az.

I'm just concerned that the AZ4 will struggle and if so then it's the EQ5.

I'm on a budget so any advice will be gratefully received.

:)

I wouldn't put a £6K scope on an AZ4 - it's a nice mount for smaller scopes like lightweight short tube refractors but can be tricky to balance and a tad tight on the elevation axis - wouldn't want your scope to slip and crash into the legs. If you're not bothered about "goto" then the Skytee with ADM shoe upgrade will support it fine. If you're after tracking and goto I'd get an HEQ5 or CG5GT. Hope that helps :)

(Do you have a link to the scope? I can't find it on their website)

My Vixen ED102SS is an F/6.5 doublet but weighs just 3.3kg. It's very comfortable and solid on my AZ-4.

I do use the somewhat longer and heavier ED120 F/7.5 7kg refractor on the AZ-4 from time to time. In standard steel legged trim the combination is OK but not rock steady. Add the 2" steel CG5 tripod to the AZ-4 and things get better but for real stability I use a Giro-type mount. This is edging away from grab and go towards grunt and heave but it's a really steady mount for high power viewing.

The Skytee II is a good option but make sure the dovetail clamps are sound. The early Skytee II unit I used for a while did not inspire confidence to put heavy / expensive scopes into the standard clamps I'm afraid. With uprated clamps the Skytee II has a great deal of capacity.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who have read and replied to this posting. After many hours of consideration/advice etc, I plunged in and ordered the AZ4-2. I can honestly say I have no regrets at all. My new ALTAIR 102mm f715 Starwave and the 2" W/O star-diagonal with my heaviest EP (38mm 2" beast!) sits rock -solid on this mount! The whole combination is my dream set-up and during the brief hour I had with it all in a "1st light" scenario, I was like a kid in a sweet shop as I jumped from the usual visual delights(Orion nebula/Jupiter/double cluster/Pleiades/Coat-hanger blah blah).... On what was an exceptionally clear night albeit with that slightly satisfying bad seeing you get when the high mag viewing is disturbed by icy high altitude air flow.(I resorted to lower mag views but on this occasion and I kept taking breaks to ogle my new toys in their perfect newly-wed status!)

I was rewarded with crystal clear views with a variety of EP'S and all on a fantasticly(is that a word?) solid mount which looks as great in the flesh as it performs... I echo someone else's comments about the mount not being done justice by the stock photo's of it you will see on the web.... It is a beautifully engineered item!

There are loads of reviews of both my OTA and mount. I will not be giving a full review as it is basically just opinion at the end of the day and my views may differ from others. I will of course be happy to respond to anyone out there considering either the ALTAIR scope or the AZ4-2 as mentioned above.(I have no affiliation with either company and remain a casual, visual observer).

Archived