Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suggestions wanted

Imp_Perfect

My first scope was (is?) a Prinz model 330 (60 mm) refractor. (Give you opinions on this if you wish)

I loaned it to a friend for his astronomy club and it came back with a broken internal lens and all internal lenses in the wrong order. Out of sentimental reasons I would like to take it with me to a star party (al;so being small it is easy to put in the car and my slr film camera fits on it great with the adaptor I bought for it.

It has been sitting in a shed for about 25 years and stll looks ok but obviously doesn't work. Can it be fixed at a reasonable cost (cheap) ?

No it isn't really worth much and I probably wont use it extensively, but it does have some sentimental properties.

I am open to suggestions on what to do with it. Serious one prefered but a funny one will do if it makes me laugh.

(Tried to find a picture on the net to illustrate it but I can't find anything suitable for posting.)

that prinz sounds very much like one of the scopes in my sig i guess you could try to put all the internal lens in the correct order (but i would of thought they be cemented ?)

another one might be as a webcam for the sun (i use mine only as a solar scope, as its too small FOV really when i have the megrez )

An idea to be sure would be to get another one. Lord knows where from however. At least the tripod is a good solid one, maybe get a big pair of bino's and an adaptor. I am not at all sure what to do with it. Only that I have very fond memories of it. (Saturn of course) My current scope is almost as old and is a Meade. There is nothing at all compatable between them, so I am dubious of getting a scope and hoping the bits will fit. Besides I will only mke a right pig's ear of it with my useless mechanical skills. A new lens to replace the broken one is a fair idea but I dunno where to get the info to assemble it all anyway..

But thanks for taking the time to post ideas guys. :smiley:

My first ever scope was a Prinz 60mm refractor. Somewhat of a classic these days in working order, i believe.

I screwed mine up as a 10 yr child when i took it apart to get rid of a couple of specks of dust on the inside of the lens.

Great I think that will have been the same model as mine. There is something about them isn't there, sort of grabs your attention as a youngster..

Yep...my first telescope was the 3" version...solid wooden tripod & GEM mount.....

I almost toyed with the idea of ditching it a couple of months back., as I never use it these days...but couldn't quite face getting rid of it..again sentimental reasons..

Try a google of the " Surplus Shed " they are a latter day type of Jaegers and have lots of good quality lenses of lots of sizes and focal lengths , and they ship world wide from the good old USA , good to deal with and cheep .

You will enjoy their web site , its cool .

Brian.

Archived