Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Final Thoughts On My First Scope Starter Pack?

Hey guys,

I am pleased to say that I have pretty much made my ‘final, final’ decision for my first telescope and assorted package.

My requirements:

-Grab and go

- Acceptable beginner’s introductory first telescope

- Easy to use GOTO system

- Fast(ish) lens for DSO work

- NOT a Dob or a reflector

- OTA should be mountable on an NEQ6 or piggy back on a larger aperture scope in the future.

What I am getting (compliments of FLO):

Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT (with cigarette plug cable)

Sky-watcher 7Ah power tank

Astrozap Flexi-Heat Dew Shield

Astrozap four port dew controller (2011 model)

Four Thirds T-Ring

Making Every Photon Count

Total cost (inc £18p&p) = £560

I have just three remaining questions:

1) Before I make the order – any last minute observations/opinions on the pack as a whole?

2) Ring Tongue vs cigarette endings: FLO were steering me towards the ring tongue ends in order to make them compatible with Maplins power supply units that are a little cheaper. I wasn’t sure about these having never used ring tongue connections before and given that the dew controller doesn’t come with a ring tongue end, so I went for cigarette endings. Is there anything particularly wrong with the sky-watcher power supply or cigarette endings (other than cost) that I am missing?

3) Does anyone know if the four thirds T-ring will work with my Olympus E-520 DSLR? My research indicates it should but would be good to know for sure.

That aside, I would like to thank everyone that has helped me with my dumb questions and steering my towards a decent first purchase – it’s been a great help!

No, 102 is correct.

If I read it right you are ultimately aiming at astrophotography, so why an Alt/Az mount.

Well, aiming at AP - in the future. I understand you can get short exposures from this alt/az so I will do I little 'light' ap or the moon (if CA allows) and perhaps of some brighter DSO's. Besides this guy did realy well with his: http://www.dur.ac.uk/nigel.metcalfe/astro/slt_canon.php

If I get the bug before March I will get an NEQ6 for Christmas or my B'day in Feb - from there let the AP begin in ernest :) I will prob end up with a couple of extra scopes in the future too (better frac for AP and probably a 8-9.25" SCT for planets and visuals).

I just dont want to stack all that up now as I am new to the hobby and not sure how far I will be going (having never even observed within anything more sophisticated than the old mk eyeball).

Sounds like a good starter kit to keep yourself occupied before you hit it big time witht the NEQ6.

Some thoughts:

Personally I think the 7Ah powertank is weaksauce. My recommendation would be to get a car jump starter with atleast 17-19 Ah. Especially if you plan to hookup dew heaters. Probably also cheaper than the 7Ah one and can be used to power a NEQ6 for a few hours even. Will also start your car. In the end expect sitting there with a real 60Ah+ lesiure battery.

If you are vaguely interested in astrophotography, I suggest something to attach your camera (depending on what type it is). I suggest T ring and adapter attachment for prime focus, and also something to attach the camera to the eyepiece.

powerunit.jpg

I use this power unit.

Cantharis - what is the model of that power pack and how many cigarette connections does it have?

cfpendock - T-Ring already accounted for in my deal above (olympus four thirds one).

ArmyAirForce - Yes I think this could be my next immediate purchase. It comes with celetron 25mm and 10mm lenses - not sure how much use they will be but along with a CA filter/corrector lens I my be upping my firepower in this department! That will, I am sure, be the topic of a future discussion.

Archived