Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen LVW 30mm vs Panoptic 27mm

Tiki

Looks great and another tick in your LVW quest.

This particular eye cup annoys the hell out of me and therefore would be rejected, however good the eyepiece was.

I sold on my SLV’s due to the same eye cup type, not due to performance, shame as Vixen make and made great kit.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Alan White said:

This particular eye cup annoys the hell out of me and therefore would be rejected, however good the eyepiece was.

I sold on my SLV’s due to the same eye cup type, not due to performance, shame as Vixen make and made great kit.

Not even a cup, just a rim cover. The 30 seems almost like a putting together of an ep main ensemble from another, most likely their NLV, then the 2 inch aspect lens was added and jacket designed making 30mm finally. NLVW 50 probably the same type design. LVW 42mm, also 2 inch is seemingly a much more complete bottom-up design like the other LVWs. 

When Pentax stopped the XW 30mm (and 40), Vixen may have pushed out NLVW to take advantage of that situation. 

16 hours ago, 25585 said:

The eye relief is correct glass to eye, but any advantage is lost due to immersion into its jacket. No black outs or kidney beans but wearing specs the whole FOV is not possible. Very comfortable to use and well protected with its golden armour. 

IMG_20171117_185209.jpg

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

24 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Not even a cup, just a rim cover. The 30 seems almost like a putting together of an ep main ensemble from another, most likely their NLV, then the 2 inch aspect lens was added and jacket designed making 30mm finally. NLVW 50 probably the same type design. LVW 42mm, also 2 inch is seemingly a much more complete bottom-up design like the other LVWs. 

When Pentax stopped the XW 30mm (and 40), Vixen may have pushed out NLVW to take advantage of that situation. 

IMG_20170910_061540.thumb.jpg.8258a11e3723ccbad768f5438f47b2d4.jpg

They do appear to have mixed and matched a bit. I suppose  it keeps the costs down on a complete redesign?. I suppose if the savings are passed onto the customer then all well and good. I know some people don't mind the plastic twist up cup type eye rest , others hate it. Bit like Marmite i suppose?

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Alan White said:

The write up on the French site is an interesting comparison and clearly shows the family line.

Even the LV 30 has a similar eye rest design if not styling.

NLVW 30mm is better than the LV, I own both. NLVW is lighter and has more eye comfort.

Archived