NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planetary Scope Advice Please

Now that its getting "Dark & Cold" again....Brrrrrrrr.....i,m starting to think about getting a Nite Scope , This would be primarily for visual Planetary work , I,ve been down the SCT route before and i,m looking for something that,s collimation free , so that really leaves Mak,s and Refractor,s.....I was wondering how a good Refractor would preform in comparison to a 8"SCT , i understand that you can use quite high powered EPs with some quality refractors (say 3 or 4mm) but what kind of quality scope would i need and would the seeing need to be good to use such High Powered Pieces. :? Cheers

Brian

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=promak180ota

I own one and its a great planetary/ lunar scope (maybe the best for the money??) or failing that if want to go down the refractor route then an ED100 is also decent for the aperture.

Its not the power of the eyepieces that seeing restricts but the magnification they give. But I always found my ED100 less sensitive to poor seeing than my 180mm Mak.

Some of the best planetary performers are supposed to be the Mak-Newtonians made by Intes and others. They have a very small central obstruction so contrast is high - almost as good as an apo refractor of a similar aperture they say.

I think they do need collimation from time to time though.

John

Archived