NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which base would be best for vibrations?

Astronut1982

Hi guys,

I'm going to laying down the base for my roll off shed observatory in the next few weeks.

I am torn between laying slabs & cementing them down or just laying concrete 5" deep & putting the shed right on top of this. For the pier, I'll be using a 200mm diameter PVC pipe with rebar inside in a pit 3" x 2" x 2" all of which will be filled with postcrete to hold my NEQ6.

Can anyone let me know which of these would be best with regards to vibrations?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

The important thing is to isolate the pier base from the part of the base that you will be standing on otherwise vibrations from your walking about etc will transmit to the pier/mount. Personally I would go for concrete as it is cheap and absolutely solid - If you are moving a shed about on it you will not want it to settle or move as the weight moves about on it.

Thanks Roger, thats what I though but I just wanted to check before I went ahead & ordered the materials.

Whats the best way to isolate the pier from the rest of the concrete as the pier will be in the centre of one half of the base, should I put in wood or some other material between the pier & the other rest in order to seperate the two & to dampen any vibrations?

Jeff

Or would it be best to dig & fill in the pier 1st & then leave some soil around the pier when I dig out for the rest of the base? If I left some soil between the two that would surely help with vibration problems wouldn't it?

Jeff

Many people use polystyrene or polyurethane foam between the concrete base and the concrete floor.

In my obsy I used a wooden floor on beams and joists supported on 6 concrete pads well away from the pier base.

I used the stuff builders merchants sell for filling expansion gaps in concrete (don't know its official name!). It is a "firm" foam strip about 150mm wide and sold im 10m lengths - it is about 1.5cm thick. Worked a treat put in double all round the pier block before pouring the base of my observatory. I left it in place and have had no problems with it.

Archived