A bit of help needed!

Alright so here's the thing. I was thinking of buying a SW 200p but the dealer I contacted doesn't have it in stock. He offered me 2 alternative namely:

Celestron C8-NGT or

Orion Skyview Pro 8".

I will be using the scope both for visual as well as a little AP. Which of these scopes would you recommend and why?

Thanks

Varun.

Optically there should be no difference between the three, I think they still all share the same mirror set (Synta own Celestron and Skywatcher and Orion telescopes are usually made by Synta). The Orion Skyview Pro uses the same mount as the Skywatcher 200. The Celestron, from your list, appears to be the only one that is fitted with a goto system.

Peter

A SW 200P won't be much good for AP, you really need a EQ Mount to track DSO ect, the C8-NGT has a EQ Mount so that's the tracking sorted, as to weather is any good in general i can't say....The Orion looks much the same as the C8-NGT, a EQ Mount ect...

SW 200P i checked out as a Dob the there are skyliners (dobs) and Explorers (reflectors) the Explorer is the one you want, it would be on par with the other 2.....

I have the 200 skwatcher on EQ5 mount and set up is very good for visual, but had to upgrade to NEQ6 mount for AP as the loading with the 200, Ep's, telrad, finder and camera was getting to near to max for the mount. Good scope though

Velvet

Ok thanks for the inputs guys! The only thing conceding me about the Orion scope is the mount! I have heard good reviews about the cg5 and the eq5 but I have no idea how the sky view pro mount is!

When I was trying to source an explorer 200p two dealers were advertising them at £40 - £50 less than others but, guess what, they weren't in stock,they had alternatives which were more expensive however. I have been checking out of pure amusement and they still aren't in stock 6 months later! FLO aren't the cheapest but their prices are genuinely good value.

Alright so here's the thing. I was thinking of buying a SW 200p but the dealer I contacted doesn't have it in stock.

Farunj, ask your supplier to order it for you. It is readily available from Skywatcher's UK importer so it shouldn't take more than a day or two.

HTH :smiley:

Farunj, ask your supplier to order it for you. It is readily available from Skywatcher's UK importer so it shouldn't take more than a day or two.

HTH :smiley:

Lol!! Didn't think of that one!! Will talk to the guy right away!! Thanks again!!

PS

Just for my info is the sky view pro and the cg5 mount same as the EQ 5 mount?

Just for my info is the sky view pro and the cg5 mount same as the EQ 5 mount?

All three are sourced from the same factories but have slightly different specification. We don't offer the Orion Skyview but I can comment on the others. The Celestron CG5 is essentially the same as the Skywatcher EQ5 but has a more hefty steel-pipe tripod (2" diameter legs v 1.75") and ball-bearings in both the RA and Dec axis (the EQ5 uses a cheaper sleeve bearing for the Dec). If you are considering GOTO then the Celestron also offers a more sophisticated GOTO alignment routine. Having said that, there isn't a lot between them so price might be your deciding factor. Oh, and the EQ5 PRO's motors are quieter than the CG5's, which might be a factor if a neighbour's bedroom window is within earshot of your garden.

HTH,

Steve

All three are sourced from the same factories but have slightly different specification. We don't offer the Orion Skyview but I can comment on the others. The Celestron CG5 is essentially the same as the Skywatcher EQ5 but has a more hefty steel-pipe tripod (2" diameter legs v 1.75") and ball-bearings in both the RA and Dec axis (the EQ5 uses a cheaper sleeve bearing for the Dec). If you are considering GOTO then the Celestron also offers a more sophisticated GOTO alignment routine. Having said that, there isn't a lot between them so price might be your deciding factor. Oh, and the EQ5 PRO's motors are quieter than the CG5's, which might be a factor if a neighbour's bedroom window is within earshot of your garden.

HTH,

Steve

So basically there are just some minor differences between them! Thanks again for the info!!

Cheers,

Varun

Archived